Previous router and modem connect but new router cannot

Old February 14th 06, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JB

Default Previous router and modem connect but new router cannot

Hi All,

I have a Belkin F5D7632-4uk wireless router / ADSL modem. It is my second
replacement as I thought the first one was faulty. It turns out that the
replacement has the same problem connecting to the Internet.

After speaking with Belkin support, BT (who did a line test) and my ISP
(Plusnet) I am no closer to finding a solution.

My previous router (also Belkin) worked fine and my trusty BT Voyager modem
continues to work fine on the same line. The new router (F5D7632-4uk) is
unable to establish a connection to the Internet.

It detects the line and displays the line speed on the main status page of
the web-based config but I cannot bowse the 'Net nor ping any external
addresses.

All ISP settings and passwords are correct.

Could you suggest what could possibly be wrong?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old February 14th 06, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"JB" wrote in message
: Hi All,
:
[...]
Personal don't know this router but would say it's the firewall settings.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk

Old February 14th 06, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JB

Personal don't know this router but would say it's the firewall settings.

Chris

--

Unfortunately not. The issue occurs with the internal firewall and all
software firewalls disabled.

Jeff

Old February 14th 06, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"JB" wrote in message
: Personal don't know this router but would say it's the firewall settings.
:
: Chris
:
: --
:
:
: Unfortunately not. The issue occurs with the internal firewall and all
: software firewalls disabled.
:
: Jeff
:
:
A quick google turned up a lot of problems with this router.
Uk setting found on google:

VPI number: 0
VCI number: 38
Authentication: CHAP (Auto)
Modulation: G.DMT
Encapsulation: PPP over ATM (PPPoA)
Virtual Circuit Multiplexing (VC-MUX) - sometimes combined to PPPoA VC-MUX
Password as ISP
Username as ISP

Personal from what I have been reading I would return for a refund.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk

Old February 14th 06, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anon

JB wrote:

It detects the line and displays the line speed on the main status
page of the web-based config but I cannot bowse the 'Net nor ping
any external addresses.

When you say you cannot ping external addresses, are you trying some IP
address (such as 212.159.6.9 - one of the name servers) or some named
site, such as www.bbc.co.uk ? If you cannot ping 212.159.6.9 then
yes, it's not working properly, but if you can then you might not
have DNS settings working properly, perhaps DHCP or something.

Old February 14th 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JB

When you say you cannot ping external addresses, are you trying some IP
address (such as 212.159.6.9 - one of the name servers) or some named
site, such as www.bbc.co.uk ? If you cannot ping 212.159.6.9 then
yes, it's not working properly, but if you can then you might not
have DNS settings working properly, perhaps DHCP or something.

I cannot ping any remote IP address - DNS, websites...nothing. DNS settings
are accurate and DHCP is assigning internal IP addresses perfectly. I am
pretty sure the router is working as Belkin designed it. However, I suspect
that it is perhaps more 'sensitive' than my other connecting hardware - is
this possible?

The weirdest thing is this...

If I connect using my ADSL modem and quickly unplug the line and connect it
to the router, I can connect. Almost as if the modem is doing a 'jump
start'. The connection will then die after a few seconds. If, however, I do
a continuous ping to a website or DNS IP address, the connection stays
alive. When I end the continuous ping, the connection dies after a few
seconds.

When the connection is dead, the reconnect button on the router's
configuration page does not reconnect.

Jeff

Old February 14th 06, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

"JB" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried doing the bt test login with it? I would hard reset it to
clear it and try that. You would be amazed how many times it's simply wrong
username & password and thus no connection. You would kick yourself how
often it happens in fact. Trying the bt test login would give you an idea if
it really is connecting or not. Ignore the DSL light (as long as it's not
flashing) and try the test login FIRST

There is also the possibility that the router is using a different gateway
address than that of you old one but if your settings are all automatic then
this should not be an issue.

Old February 14th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JB

Have you tried doing the bt test login with it? I would hard reset it to
clear it and try that. You would be amazed how many times it's simply
wrong username & password and thus no connection. You would kick yourself
how often it happens in fact. Trying the bt test login would give you an
idea if it really is connecting or not. Ignore the DSL light (as long as
it's not flashing) and try the test login FIRST

There is also the possibility that the router is using a different gateway
address than that of you old one but if your settings are all automatic
then this should not be an issue.

Yep, tried that with Belkin support. It just seems that the router is
incapable of establishing and maintaining a connection for whatever reason.

Jeff

Old February 14th 06, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JB

Here's a screenshot of the status page:

http://217.154.67.191/router.gif

I can only get 1mb in my area apparently. Could the line be too slow for the
router or something?

Jeff

Old February 14th 06, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

JB wrote:
Here's a screenshot of the status page:

http://217.154.67.191/router.gif

I can only get 1mb in my area apparently. Could the line be too slow
for the router or something?

Jeff

If you want to post links posts one to your diagnostics page, all that
page shows is that your router is synch'd up at 1Mb but is not
connected. Why is anybodies guess unless you post your diagnostics