Wireless deterioration

Old February 14th 06, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mehbs

Default Wireless deterioration

Hi All,

I have a Netgear DG834G v1 ADSL wireless router which has been working fine
since I first bought it 2 years ago. However, recently I've notice that the
wireless speed does not go above 11Mbps whereas before it wouldn't drop
below 36Mbps. The router is located in the downstairs hallway but the signal
varies between very low to low on a desktop PC (4m away in lounge) and low
to good on my laptop (2m away in dining room). I've tried changing channels
but there's no change on any of the 13 ones available. I've also upgraded
the router to the latest firmware but no difference.

Having searched on Google for answers I've discovered that I'm not alone in
experiencing this issue. In fact, I'm quite fortunate in getting 2 years
service out of it rather than a few weeks to 12 months for some poor souls!
I'm slowly resigning to the fact that the wireless component is slowly dying
and may have to look at buying a replacement.

My question is whether it's feasible for the internal wireless module to be
replaced/upgraded as I don't really want to trash it since everything else
works fine. If not, my other option is to buy an access point for the
wireless function. Any recommendations which won't cost the earth (i.e. less
than 100)?

Thanks

Mehbs

Old February 14th 06, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Mehbs wrote:
[...]

It would be simpler to disable the wireless module & get yourself a
WiFi Access point, there are many makes & brands so look around (I'm
preferring the WPN802 at the moment which seems to be working very
well for me)..

Old February 15th 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Chapman

Mehbs wrote:

Hi All,

I have a Netgear DG834G v1 ADSL wireless router which has been
working fine since I first bought it 2 years ago. However, recently
I've notice that the wireless speed does not go above 11Mbps whereas
before it wouldn't drop below 36Mbps. The router is located in the
downstairs hallway but the signal varies between very low to low on a
desktop PC (4m away in lounge) and low to good on my laptop (2m away
in dining room). I've tried changing channels but there's no change
on any of the 13 ones available. I've also upgraded the router to the
latest firmware but no difference.

SNIP

My question is whether it's feasible for the internal wireless module
to be replaced/upgraded as I don't really want to trash it since
everything else works fine. If not, my other option is to buy an
access point for the wireless function. Any recommendations which
won't cost the earth (i.e. less than #100)?

Thanks

Mehbs

It might be that there is now more interference on the wireless
frequencies you are using than there was originally. Your neighbours
might now be using wi-fi or have wireless TV senders etc; there are
more and more gadgets now using this frequency band. You may therefore
find that new kit still has a poor throughput too.

Andrew

Old February 15th 06, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mehbs

"Kraftee" wrote in message
Mehbs wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the recommendation. Looks quite well specced but not too sure
about the flashing LEDs though. Could get annoying after a while!

=;)

Old February 15th 06, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mehbs

--

Fortunately, there are no other wireless networks down my street and my
neighbours on either side only have one TV set. Thanks for the suggestions

Old February 16th 06, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Mehbs wrote:
"Kraftee" wrote in
message
Mehbs wrote:
[...]

Know what you mean but they do supply a black/opaque cap to fit over
the 'offending' bulge. Light still leaks out off vants though..

Old February 16th 06, 06:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Fortunately, there are no other wireless networks down my street and my
neighbours on either side only have one TV set. Thanks for the suggestions
anyway.

There are lots of other sources of interference and they dont have to be
in your street. Microwave ovens can for a start. I would not dismiss stray
RF out of hand.

Dave
Old February 16th 06, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Dave Stanton wrote:
Fortunately, there are no other wireless networks down my street
and
my neighbours on either side only have one TV set. Thanks for the
suggestions anyway.

There are lots of other sources of interference and they dont have
be in your street. Microwave ovens can for a start. I would not
dismiss stray RF out of hand.

Anything electrical can cause RF interference. There was even a big
thing in Nottingham a year or so ago where the EMEB was giving out
enrgy saver 'light bulbs' & they were broadcasting across a large part
of the RF spectrum. Ad to that relay switches, large TV's, Christmas
tree lights, rope lights, fridges, freezers, electric cookers the list
goes on & on, all of which can & have caused problems in the past,
some more than others. There's even a small village on the outskirts
of Newark which is affected by the electricification of the railway
line & it's even been narrowed to north bound trains which actually
stop at Newark, as they climb out the valley it causes all sorts of
electrical interference on phones, ADSL & even (in the worst cases)
ISDN...

Old February 17th 06, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Anything electrical can cause RF interference. There was even a big
thing in Nottingham a year or so ago where the EMEB was giving out
enrgy saver 'light bulbs' & they were broadcasting across a large part
of the RF spectrum.

Do you remember them affecting IR remote controls on tvs?. Caused a lot of
shaking of heads in the trade until it was pinned down g.

Dave

Old February 17th 06, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Dave Stanton wrote:
Anything electrical can cause RF interference. There was even a
big
thing in Nottingham a year or so ago where the EMEB was giving out
enrgy saver 'light bulbs' & they were broadcasting across a large
part of the RF spectrum.

Do you remember them affecting IR remote controls on tvs?. Caused a
lot of shaking of heads in the trade until it was pinned down g.

Dave

I've still got a lamp which does that.....