Extension wiring

Old February 15th 06, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Bartholomew

Default Extension wiring

Just for information ...

My existing installation consisted of a old type (non splittable) master
socket with loose filter (for Sky box and phone, no ADSL) with a 6 or 7
metre B&Q extension plug/cable/socket. At the end of that I had another
splitter with a phone and ADSL plugged in.

It wasn't bad on my 1.5Km line, rock solid at 2Mb with downstream
figures of 19dB noise (average)/34 dB attenuation and upstream figures
of 28dB noise and 24 attenuation.

Due to a bit of home repairs I took the opportunity to run a 10m "High
specification" ADSL extension cable. So I now have a single filter (for
all phones) and the ADSL, more or less, directly connected to the line.

It didn't make any difference to the attenuation and only improved the
upstream noise by 1dB, but the downstream noise margin went from an
average of 19dB to a much nicer 25dB. That should help a bit with the
forthcoming speed upgrades.

I really didn't think it would make _that_ much difference so it goes to
show that the many comments made in this group about the quality of
extension wiring being important are spot on.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me (limited validity).
Old February 15th 06, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Cain

"Ian Bartholomew" wrote in message
So I now have a single filter (for all phones) and the ADSL, more or
less, directly connected to the line.

That's lucky. I tried to do this but some phones (running off the same
filter) would not ring. The cause was the size of the "ring capacitor" in
the filter.