Current NTL cable modem arrangements?

Old February 15th 06, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
D.M. Procida

Default Current NTL cable modem arrangements?

I asked my brother, who has now inconveniently buggered off for a month,
to order NTL cable Internet/TV for my father.

What was delivered was a digital cable TV receiver box, which has an
Ethernet port on the back. There was no separate cable modem left by the
installer.

Does this digital box include the cable modem? Having connected a router
to it I can't see any sign that it's acting like one.

Daniele
Old February 15th 06, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

D.M. Procida wrote:
I asked my brother, who has now inconveniently buggered off for a
month, to order NTL cable Internet/TV for my father.

What was delivered was a digital cable TV receiver box, which has an
Ethernet port on the back. There was no separate cable modem left by
the installer.

Does this digital box include the cable modem? Having connected a
router to it I can't see any sign that it's acting like one.

Daniele

Have you tried connecting directly to a computer without using a router?
--
Adrian A

Old February 15th 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:00:32 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

I asked my brother, who has now inconveniently buggered off for a month,
to order NTL cable Internet/TV for my father.

What was delivered was a digital cable TV receiver box, which has an
Ethernet port on the back. There was no separate cable modem left by the
installer.

Does this digital box include the cable modem? Having connected a router
to it I can't see any sign that it's acting like one.

Daniele

If your father has the Samsung STB, then yes.. My Internet connection
comes out of my Samsung STB but the installer left a short CAT5 cable
dangling out of the STB when they installed mine.

Old February 15th 06, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Jono" wrote in message
k...
D.M. Procida formulated on Wednesday :
I asked my brother, who has now inconveniently buggered off for a month,
to order NTL cable Internet/TV for my father.

What was delivered was a digital cable TV receiver box, which has an
Ethernet port on the back. There was no separate cable modem left by the
installer.
Does this digital box include the cable modem? Having connected a router
to it I can't see any sign that it's acting like one.

Daniele

The internal modem of the STB may require a cross-over cable....

They're not supposed to be providing any broadband via the STB as the
internal modem cannot cope with the new speeds. Their systems will still
allow an order to be placed, so I hope what's really happened is that the
BB has not been ordered.
Give them a call and request a Stand Alone Broadband Service - SABS in NTL
speak.

Pace STBs are useless as BB modems, but recent Samsung STB are being used.
My Sisters NTL BB installation done at Christmas is done that way
NTL should have supplied an install pack with codes etc

Steve Terry

Old February 16th 06, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Jono wrote:

....hope they've sorted the probs with the Samsung boxes then - the
inability to provide TV on demand for one.

They've been promising that for years, hope you aren't holding your
breath while you wait....

Old February 16th 06, 01:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Jono" wrote in message
k...
Steve Terry expressed precisely :
"Jono" wrote in message
k...
D.M. Procida formulated on Wednesday :

snip
Pace STBs are useless as BB modems, but recent Samsung STB are being
used.
My Sisters NTL BB installation done at Christmas is done that way
NTL should have supplied an install pack with codes etc
Steve Terry

....hope they've sorted the probs with the Samsung boxes then - the
inability to provide TV on demand for one.

Does anyone without their own oil well use PPV?

I would still prefer a Stand Alone Modem, either way.

Agreed, but you'll have to argue with NTL to supply you with one instead of
a Samsung STB

At least the Samsung seems to be working so far OK as a BB modem at my
sisters.

Steve Terry

Old February 16th 06, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

Jono wrote:

....hope they've sorted the probs with the Samsung boxes then - the
inability to provide TV on demand for one.

That's very shortsighted of you, I think perhaps it should read:

the inability to provide

TV
BROADBAND
QUALITY PHONE TRANSMISSION
CUSTOMER SERVICE
on demand for one.

Old February 16th 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Sucuba Dude" wrote in message
Jono wrote:

....hope they've sorted the probs with the Samsung boxes then - the
inability to provide TV on demand for one.

That's very shortsighted of you, I think perhaps it should read:

the inability to provide

TV
BROADBAND
QUALITY PHONE TRANSMISSION
CUSTOMER SERVICE
on demand for one.

Customer service i agree with.
But my NTL TV, BB is reliable, and call quality is acceptable

Itemised Billing, you certainly have to watch, it's often up for the booker
prize for fiction

Steve Terry