speed problems

Old February 16th 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
systemtek

Default speed problems

I have just changed from zen 512k service to ukonline 8mb on LLU. I
am only getting really slow speeds, previous when i was on zen i did a
speed test say every month and it would always come back as apx 500k
now, each time i do it i get different results the highest i have ever
had it is about 1.6mb but generally its 400k to 700k mark but varies.
Did a test this morning and it was 300k ! thats slower than my zen was.

BT and UKonline say my line lengh is about 3.1km what speed should i
expect to get at this length ? and Why is the speed all over the place
?

UKonline said that the noice level on my line was 4 and it should be
about 20, why would this be ? is this check done upto my NTE socket or
could other phones and maybe poor cable in my home affect this result ?

I will add that i have disconnected all my extensions and tested from
just the master socket with the same speed results, and tried different
routers etc.

Thanks

Old February 16th 06, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

systemtek wrote:
I have just changed from zen 512k service to ukonline 8mb on LLU.
am only getting really slow speeds, previous when i was on zen i did
speed test say every month and it would always come back as apx 500k
now, each time i do it i get different results the highest i have
ever
had it is about 1.6mb but generally its 400k to 700k mark but
varies.
Did a test this morning and it was 300k ! thats slower than my zen
was.

BT and UKonline say my line lengh is about 3.1km what speed should i
expect to get at this length ? and Why is the speed all over the
place
?

At 3.1km you theoretically should have a Loop attenuation of 31dB
which in the old days would be good enough for 2Mb, but if you have a
noise issue that could be causing you all types of problems

UKonline said that the noice level on my line was 4 and it should be
about 20, why would this be ? is this check done upto my NTE socket
or
could other phones and maybe poor cable in my home affect this
result

The line checks are normally done upto your NTE5, after that you're on
your own, unless you want to pay of course, bad wiring or substandard
wiring can cause you noise problems, phones can cause you noise
problems, anything electrical in your house can cause you problems but
without sometype of reasonably accurate diagnostics all we on here can
do is poke & hope...

I will add that i have disconnected all my extensions and tested
from
just the master socket with the same speed results, and tried
different routers etc.

Where are the diagnostics then??

Old February 16th 06, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
systemtek

Thanks for the reply. Today i spoke with UKonline who dropped my link
from 8mb to 5mb as a temp measure so i can test it. He said he could
see a noticable improvement in noise on my line after doing this.

I am now getting speeds of apx 3.9mb which is a lot better than before.
I have been doing all my speed tests on www.adslguide.org.uk, i have
always used this site.

Also, after having spent quite a bit of time tonight doing various
tests i have found that if i plug my adsl router into any extension
socket in my house i get slower speeds, around 3mb. So what i have now
done is connected my microfilter back to master NTE socket and plug the
phones in the phone socket on the microfilter, and the adsl router in
the adsl output and it then gives the 3.9mb result. Previous to this i
had a microfilter on each phone (3 phones) and the adsl modem in my
office, that all ran on poor quality cables around the house.

I can only assume (someone correct me if i am wrong) that this is the
best way to do it anyway, previously with my 512kb service it was not a
problem, but higher speeds and maybe some poor cable in my home are
affecting it, but i guess that the actual adsl signal now does not
travel around the house like it did before. I know for a fact the
cable is poor that runs around the house there is sockets in almost all
rooms, but we only use 3 phones, so quite a bit of poor cable running
around the house.

Seem as we are in the process of decorating now is a ideal time to rip
the old cable out and replace it all with CAT5e, at least that way its
done the best it can be. Hopefully then i can move the router back in
the other room and i wont loose any speed.

Also, to take a bit of a short cut between 2 rooms i could run some of
the cat5e outside there would be about 5m has anyone had any problems
with this, i plan to cover the cable with some flat trunking. Will the
weather affect it in anyway ? It wont get wet but it will be in the
cold i guess over time it could degrade...i know someone who ran about
10m outside with no trunking about 2 years ago and his is still ok, but
im guessing given time it will damage the cable possibly.

Thanks

Thanks