Moving to another ISP

Old February 16th 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

Default Moving to another ISP

Do ISP's generally do a credit check on new customers when migrating?

I'm having real problems with BT at the moment and am considering moving to
Zen or NDO - I'm closely approaching the final straw with BT ( speed
problems, awful customer service in India, lack of communication with
customers ), however having been unemployed for 7 months my credit rating
has suffered although I've never had a problem with paying BT.

Having tried to speak to BT today (I actually got a very narked off sounding
UK based guy) about the speed problems, they put the blame at my feet. I
use P2P, but not excessively. They reckon I've uploaded 1471MB in the last
48 hours, whereas my figure is about a third of that (wired only connection)

Old February 16th 06, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Nicola Redwood wrote:
Do ISP's generally do a credit check on new customers when migrating?

I'm having real problems with BT at the moment and am considering
moving to Zen or NDO - I'm closely approaching the final straw with
BT ( speed problems, awful customer service in India, lack of
communication with customers ), however having been unemployed for 7
months my credit rating has suffered although I've never had a
problem with paying BT.
Having tried to speak to BT today (I actually got a very narked off
sounding UK based guy) about the speed problems, they put the blame
at my feet. I use P2P, but not excessively. They reckon I've
uploaded 1471MB in the last 48 hours, whereas my figure is about a
third of that (wired only connection)

Well I have an awful credit rating and managed to sign up with Plusnet. I
assume there is no credit check. Its not like you are taking out a credit
of any kind, its just a service they can cancel at any time if you default.

Old February 16th 06, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Nicola Redwood:
Do ISP's generally do a credit check on new customers when migrating?

I'm having real problems with BT at the moment and am considering
moving to Zen or NDO - I'm closely approaching the final straw with
BT ( speed problems, awful customer service in India, lack of
communication with customers ), however having been unemployed for 7
months my credit rating has suffered although I've never had a
problem with paying BT.
Having tried to speak to BT today (I actually got a very narked off
sounding UK based guy) about the speed problems, they put the blame
at my feet. I use P2P, but not excessively. They reckon I've
uploaded 1471MB in the last 48 hours, whereas my figure is about a
third of that (wired only connection)

Being unemployed for 7 months, shouldn't have affected your credit rating that
much that it would affect switching ISPs, unless you started falling behind on
payments.

Old February 16th 06, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Beck says...
Nicola Redwood wrote:
[...]

I look at my credit file from time to time and have yet to find an ISP
which does a search. That isn't to say they don't all do this. Searches
are listed on your file for 12 months.

They can disconnect at any time after all, and service is normally paid
in advance. So they are not extending credit as such.

FR
Old February 16th 06, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

3 months arrears on mortgage and credit cards including default notice
Seems the general consensus so far is that it shouldn't matter, so looks
promising. I'm not sure how much longer and can put up with the rubbish I'm
getting with BT Broadband, but want to exhaust all possibilities first and I
haven't tried the connection from the master socket yet ( need to get hold
of a long enough RJ11 first )

Old February 16th 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

"Beck" wrote in message
Nicola Redwood wrote:
[...]

Thanks Beck
How are things with PlusNet then?

Old February 16th 06, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Nicola Redwood wrote:
Do ISP's generally do a credit check on new customers when
migrating?

I'm having real problems with BT at the moment and am considering
moving to Zen or NDO - I'm closely approaching the final straw with
BT ( speed problems, awful customer service in India, lack of
communication with customers ), however having been unemployed for 7
months my credit rating has suffered although I've never had a
problem with paying BT.
Having tried to speak to BT today (I actually got a very narked off
sounding UK based guy) about the speed problems, they put the blame
at my feet. I use P2P, but not excessively. They reckon I've
uploaded 1471MB in the last 48 hours, whereas my figure is about a
third of that (wired only connection)

But they count traffic in both directions towards the figure, also if
you have to many outgoing connections (or a few very fast ones) this
will slow your browsing etc so it could be your P2P traffic is
partially causing your problem, if not completely

Old February 16th 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Nicola Redwood wrote:

Thanks Beck
How are things with PlusNet then?

Everything seems okay. News server is extremely bad but its not an issue
for me as I sub to individual.net.

Old February 16th 06, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Nicola Redwood wrote:

3 months arrears on mortgage and credit cards including default notice
Seems the general consensus so far is that it shouldn't matter, so
looks promising. I'm not sure how much longer and can put up with
the rubbish I'm getting with BT Broadband, but want to exhaust all
possibilities first and I haven't tried the connection from the
master socket yet ( need to get hold of a long enough RJ11 first )

Well at a time like this, you need to save every penny you can and BTYahoo
are just too expensive for many people.

Old February 16th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Beck wrote:

Well I have an awful credit rating and managed to sign up with Plusnet. I
assume there is no credit check. Its not like you are taking out a credit
of any kind, its just a service they can cancel at any time if you
default.

Thing is, there is very little margin in retail broadband; if you're buying
circuits off BT at [say] eight quid a month and selling them on at fifteen,
you have to be pretty sure that your customer is going to pay you for a
fair few months in order to cover your overheads.

The OP might like to consider signing up with an ISP that will take a
pre-payment lump sum for one or two years [although they might not be able
to scrape together a years subs if they're unemployed].

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:34:14 up 21 days, 23:52, 4 users, load average: 0.54, 0.43, 0.22