My line's poor, what can I do?

Old February 17th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default My line's poor, what can I do?

I have LLU ADSL. According to my router, the line stats are quite poor
given that I am only a mile or so from the exchange - I have 43dB
attenuation and only about 10dB of downstream margin. My line now syncs
(eventually) at 6Mb but it has to be interleaved, which is undesirable
as my pings are all minimum 40ms. The wiring is old and looks a bit of
a dog's breakfast, ending in an old style BT socket (not an NTE5). The
line is also rather quiet, but I have no idea if this is associated
with the ADSL attenuation.

Is there anything I can do about this? Ideally I would like a line
which reflects my relative proximity to the exchange, has a clearer
voice signals, and can sync at a higher speed.

Cheers,

John

Old February 17th 06, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

wrote:
I have LLU ADSL. According to my router, the line stats are quite
poor
given that I am only a mile or so from the exchange - I have 43dB
attenuation and only about 10dB of downstream margin. My line now
syncs (eventually) at 6Mb but it has to be interleaved, which is
undesirable as my pings are all minimum 40ms. The wiring is old and
looks a bit of a dog's breakfast, ending in an old style BT socket
(not an NTE5). The line is also rather quiet, but I have no idea if
this is associated with the ADSL attenuation.

Is there anything I can do about this? Ideally I would like a line
which reflects my relative proximity to the exchange, has a clearer
voice signals, and can sync at a higher speed.

Cheers,

John

Just because you are geographically close to the exchange doesn't mean
your line is that short. I know a cottage where you can throw a stone
from the back garden thru the window of it's local exchange & they are
over 3 kilometres line length away.

If the wiring is a dogs dinner that could be causing you problems, but
at the moment unfortunately you will have to pay to get this remedied.
If you had a fault it may be remedied then but for heavens sake don't
go deliberately breaking it or else that will be charged. Tidy up if
you can & where you can..

Old February 17th 06, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh G Rection

Put a fault on beyond the lju/nte as you don't have the network
seperation that an NTE5 provides BT won't bill you for this. The
Engineer will put you a new NTE5 on in place of your old socket.

Old February 17th 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

On 17 Feb 2006 09:13:42 -0800, "Hugh G Rection"

Put a fault on beyond the lju/nte as you don't have the network
seperation that an NTE5 provides BT won't bill you for this. The
Engineer will put you a new NTE5 on in place of your old socket.

If BT find ANY internal damage (NTE or not) it is chargeable
regardless of if there is an NTE or not. Replacing the line jack with
an NTE won't sort the rest of the dogs breakfast, will it....
Old February 17th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh G Rection

Sucuba Dude wrote:
On 17 Feb 2006 09:13:42 -0800, "Hugh G Rection"

Put a fault on beyond the lju/nte as you don't have the network
seperation that an NTE5 provides BT won't bill you for this. The
Engineer will put you a new NTE5 on in place of your old socket.

If BT find ANY internal damage (NTE or not) it is chargeable
regardless of if there is an NTE or not. Replacing the line jack with
an NTE won't sort the rest of the dogs breakfast, will it....

Not the rest of it but it's a start. I also guarantee that if your
fault lies beyond an old type of NTE (LJU 2/3a) that BT cannot and will
not charge you for the fault. They will replaces the old style of NTE
with the new type with the removable face plate with the "test
socket". BT are keen on the TRC (charging at the moment) but will not
charge when the fault lies beyond the old style LJU.

Old February 17th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Hugh G Rection wrote:
Sucuba Dude wrote:
[...]

In that situation they may give an NTE5 for free (but remember that
there is a department scrutinizing all clears & adding charges willy
nilly if they think it's appropiate, it's getting so silly I can't
talk to end users as that could be construed, indeed it has been in
the past, to be a DSL health check) but the fault on the internal
cabling would not be repaired for free.

Old February 17th 06, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On 17 Feb 2006 11:08:11 -0800, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Hugh G
Rection" wrote:

I also guarantee that if your
fault lies beyond an old type of NTE (LJU 2/3a) that BT cannot and will
not charge you for the fault.

People who work for BT have said previously that this is incorrect.
Especially if the damage looks deliberate.

Still, if you guarantee it, I suppose someone could send you the bill
:-)
Mark McIntyre
Old February 17th 06, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Rection" wrote:

I also guarantee that if your
fault lies beyond an old type of NTE (LJU 2/3a) that BT cannot and
will not charge you for the fault.

People who work for BT have said previously that this is incorrect.
Especially if the damage looks deliberate.

Still, if you guarantee it, I suppose someone could send you the
bill
:-)

It's even worse than you think, it's not upto the field engineer any
more, if they don't raise charges there is a back office going thru
all clears & arbitarily raising charges & then telling the line
managers to discipline the field engineers , I've even had one raised
against me just because I advised a customer on what could be wrong
with his internal wiring a colleague was given a complex job (one lead
task & then several other faults), it took him over 3 days to clear
them all so this office has raised a charge against the lead job for
the 3 days he spent faulting on all the rest & sent the memo to the
level 1 telling him to discipline the 'offending' engineer.

IT IS NOT being driven by the field staff it is being forced thru by
some faceless idiots who don't know the job, who have never been in
the field who are doing this..

I've already said to much so I'll bow out now, but remember the NTE
isn't the demarcation point any more, it's any cabling in & on the
building, as they never grow old & deteriorate (yeh right) so you have
been warned..

Old February 17th 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

Rection" wrote:

[...]

Had a similar discussion earlier today about BT management - during a job
interview ( not with BT I hasten to add )

Old February 18th 06, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flunkett Clogwheel

"Hugh G Rection" wrote in message
ups.com...

"I also guarantee that if yourfault lies beyond an old type of NTE (LJU
2/3a) that BT cannot and will not charge you for the fault"

oh dear oh dear. Don't buy a used car from this man!