What happens if

Old February 17th 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Le Lievre

Default What happens if

You plug a 56k modem into an ADSL activated line without a filter. Will it
work without a filter or work but not correctly cos frequency problems ?

I`m just wondering whats going to happen when my phone provider activates my
ADSL line. I should notice the change with my analogue modem shouldn't I.

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 17th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Le Lievre

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
You plug a 56k modem into an ADSL activated line without a filter.
Will it work without a filter or work but not correctly cos frequency
problems ?

I`m just wondering whats going to happen when my phone provider
activates my ADSL line. I should notice the change with my analogue
modem shouldn't I.

Of course I have an ADSL modem and I don't expect the 56k modem to work or
any faster (I`m not stupid) I will plug in the ADSL modem when I see a
change but am I likely to see one. I should do right.

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 17th 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Le Lievre

Brian Morrison wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
You plug a 56k modem into an ADSL activated line without a filter.
Will it work without a filter or work but not correctly cos
frequency problems ?

I`m just wondering whats going to happen when my phone provider
activates my ADSL line. I should notice the change with my analogue
modem shouldn't I.

Of course I have an ADSL modem and I don't expect the 56k modem to
work or any faster (I`m not stupid) I will plug in the ADSL modem
when I see a change but am I likely to see one. I should do right.

Do you have a microfilter? If so, plug it in and plug the POTS modem
into it. Then the POTS modem will work fine even if the ADSL is
enabled. There will be no ADSL signal sent from the exchange until
you plug in the ADSL modem anyway, the exchange end doesn't turn on
the downstream signal until it detects the upstream energy from the
remote end.

Thanks not quite my question - will anything actually prevent my 56k modem
from dialling/staying connected once the line is ADSL activated - I know I
can plug it into a microfilter and it will work perfectly - I already have 1
for my phone/sky box but I would expect it not to work properly or at all if
the line is ADSL activated w/o a filter. Do you know.

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 17th 06, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

You will lose sync with the exchange. This happens when I receive or make a
call without using a micro filter but the router will sync with the exchange
during the conversation. I suspect the same would happen with 56k.

Micro filters are dirt cheap. Buy another one for your 56k

Dan

Old February 17th 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
You plug a 56k modem into an ADSL activated line without a filter.
Will it
work without a filter or work but not correctly cos frequency
problems ?

I`m just wondering whats going to happen when my phone provider
activates my
ADSL line. I should notice the change with my analogue modem
shouldn't I.

You almost certainly won't notice anything until you connect and use an ADSL
modem/router.
--
Adrian A

Old February 17th 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Le Lievre

Daniel wrote:
You will lose sync with the exchange. This happens when I receive or
make a call without using a micro filter but the router will sync
with the exchange during the conversation. I suspect the same would
happen with 56k.

Micro filters are dirt cheap. Buy another one for your 56k

Dan

So basically I wouldn't see any difference with the actual modem call itself
it would just mess with the sync on the ADSL modem but the call would work.
My ADSL modem is syncing when it is plugged into the socket and when I
picked up the phone yesterday (not filtered) the ADSL modem lost sync for a
bit. Could this mean I am already ADSL activated they said they were
finalising my connection yesterday.

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 17th 06, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Le Lievre

Adrian wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
You plug a 56k modem into an ADSL activated line without a filter.
Will it
work without a filter or work but not correctly cos frequency
problems ?

I`m just wondering whats going to happen when my phone provider
activates my
ADSL line. I should notice the change with my analogue modem
shouldn't I.

You almost certainly won't notice anything until you connect and use
an ADSL modem/router.

My ADSL modem syncs but when I try to connect I get verifying username and
password for 35 secs then error 721 remote computer did not respond. Could
it still be a problem with the ADSL connection or is it more likely to be
related to login details/drivers I am using drivers downloaded from New
Zealand Alcatel site but I doubt this would make a difference.

Photo here http://members.lycos.co.uk/venus/Setup.jpg

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 17th 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
[...]

You either have your logon details or modem settings wrong, try asking your
ISP what the settings should be.
--
Adrian A

Old February 17th 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in
om:

- will anything actually prevent my 56k modem
from dialling/staying connected once the line is ADSL activated -

It depends.

Once activated there will be high frequency signals present on the
line that POTS devices were typically only designed to handle
baseband audio. The result will depend on the electronic
characteristics of the specific POTS device.

POTS telephones quite often suffer background noise interference
(hiss) which can make the phone unusable, but some phones are
unaffected. Modems could be expected to behave similarly.
Old February 17th 06, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Le Lievre

Adrian wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Photo here http://members.lycos.co.uk/venus/Setup.jpg

You either have your logon details or modem settings wrong, try
asking your ISP what the settings should be.

Maybe I misheard the login details or they gave me the wrong ones I was on a
mobile call at the time and the line wasn't too good but I read back what I
heard and they said it was ok.

I wasn't speaking to the support dept however just someone in accounts and
they were still waiting to hear from the phone provider to confirm my ADSL
connection had been activated - if you saw my other thread "US Robotics 56k
v.92" you'll see how it happened.

I think they were caught off guard and may not have setup my account yet or
properly or simply that I misheard them. It could be that I`m using the
wrong drivers however so I`ll download the UK version and try them.
--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well