Faulty Router?

Old February 18th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trev

Default Faulty Router?

Hi all
How do you know when your router is faulty? I don't have another to test
with. Problem seems to be with SNR last night it was unusable at 6.5 but
this morning its back to its usual 12ish when using the web interface
sometimes it responds quick other times it will timeout and a network cable
is unplugged is seen every now and again. SpeedTouch580 is the model if
that's any help. Router fault or should I be looking elsewhere?
Cheers
Trev

Old February 18th 06, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Trev wrote:

Hi all
How do you know when your router is faulty? I don't have another to test
with. Problem seems to be with SNR last night it was unusable at 6.5 but
this morning its back to its usual 12ish when using the web interface
sometimes it responds quick other times it will timeout and a network
cable is unplugged is seen every now and again. SpeedTouch580 is the model
if that's any help. Router fault or should I be looking elsewhere?
Cheers
Trev

Why waste time like that? - routers are dirt cheap
these days... http://www.ebuyer.com

Old February 18th 06, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Trev" wrote in message
Hi all
How do you know when your router is faulty? I don't have another to test
with. Problem seems to be with SNR last night it was unusable at 6.5 but
this morning its back to its usual 12ish when using the web interface
sometimes it responds quick other times it will timeout and a network

cable
is unplugged is seen every now and again. SpeedTouch580 is the model if
that's any help. Router fault or should I be looking elsewhere?
Cheers
Trev

How long has this een happening? Is it just a recent thing, or has it been
going on for some length of time?

It could be just conditions. My SR varies between daytime and nighttime.
Although no figures are that bad tha it becomes unuseable. My maximum is
about 23 and the minimum around 16db, but perhaps you have the same problem
but with lower maximum, so when it comes down, it becomes too low.

I would monitor it for a few days and see if it improves or gets worse.

Obviously it can't be diagnosed unless you have another unit to compare it
against, so perhaps you should buy a backup router and compare results. If
the results are similar, then its likely to be a line fault, otherwise it
points to a fault with your router.

Old February 18th 06, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Steve" wrote in message

"Trev" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry about the missing characters in the above... I have a dodgy keyboard
: ))