wanadoo news server please

Old February 18th 06, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spike

Default wanadoo news server please

Can someone tell me the name of wanadoo's news server to set up a new news
account?
Thanks

Old February 18th 06, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trev

"Spike" djhatukpcdotnet wrote in message
Can someone tell me the name of wanadoo's news server to set up a new news
account?
Thanks

you can find it at
www.wanadoo.co.uk
or if you cant be bothered to look
news.wanadoo.co.uk

Old February 18th 06, 10:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charlie Drake

Spike wrote:
Can someone tell me the name of wanadoo's news server to set up a new news
account?
Thanks

Wannadoo will be pulling the plug on usenet access on the 17th March

Charlie
Old February 18th 06, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Spike wrote:
Can someone tell me the name of wanadoo's news server to set up a new
news account?
Thanks

Don't bother, from 17th March they're closing it down.
--
Adrian A

Old February 18th 06, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Check post by Ivor - there will be no service from March 17th
on Wanadoo, anyway. They mention a few paid-for services and
using Google. Via Google Groups news is free, though I think
it is text-only. There are other text-only services that can
be used, some with monthly or annual fees, some with a fee to
cover a number of GB of traffic.

But PLEASE don't use google groups, its crap and broken. Get a decent
newsgroup client and a use a proper news service.

Dave
Old February 18th 06, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Dave Stanton wrote:

But PLEASE don't use google groups, its crap and broken. Get a decent
newsgroup client and a use a proper news service.

There have been posters who use the 'quote' button (should be the
default, of course), so just because it is perhaps the worst way
to involve oneself with newsgroups, it isn't necessarily either
of the things you suggest. I'd personally never use it, but I
don't see (without more evidence) why anyone would be likely to
use some other service, without you expanding on _why_ you state
it to be bad, in the terms you used...

Old February 18th 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

There have been posters who use the 'quote' button (should be the
default, of course), so just because it is perhaps the worst way
to involve oneself with newsgroups, it isn't necessarily either
of the things you suggest. I'd personally never use it, but I
don't see (without more evidence) why anyone would be likely to
use some other service, without you expanding on _why_ you state
it to be bad, in the terms you used...

Well think about this, apart from the fact as you yourself state that
threading gets broken because the quote button is not default and that is
so glaring an error its good enough to say google is broken, if newbies
start to think that web based access is the norm eventually it will be
come the norm and Usenet as we know it could cease to exist. Usenet in
this form came about years before the web, it works and works well. Just
because web is on everyones lips does not make it the ideal solution for
the whole internet. You stated its perhaps the worst way to get involved
with newsgroups, I am not against change, but I am against people who
seem to think anything text based is obselete and dated and that only gui
or graphics are the way forward just because it looks flash and ' modern'.
Considering that Google is a great resource and came from hacker based
beginnings I consider google groups to be a great step backwards and
therefore along with the above thats why I consider it to be crap.
Oh BTW, I used hacker, meaning someone who hacks code, not as it as been
hijacked to mean.

Dave

Old February 18th 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Dave Stanton wrote:

come the norm and Usenet as we know it could cease to exist. Usenet in
this form came about years before the web, it works and works well. Just
because web is on everyones lips does not make it the ideal solution for
the whole internet. You stated its perhaps the worst way to get involved
with newsgroups, I am not against change, but I am against people who
seem to think anything text based is obselete and dated and that only gui
or graphics are the way forward just because it looks flash and 'modern'.

Point taken. However, if those who switch to Google as a free means of
posting, because their ISP has removed the news service, are educated,
with the reminder they could be widely ignored if they fail to quote
and post in a sensible way, then the 'rest' of use will be able to
continue in the same way as we have, though I suppose 'ignoring' 50%
of posts would essen the benefits of Usenet.

Oh BTW, I used hacker, meaning someone who hacks code,

Yes, understood! I'm not in my twenties, either. Peter M

Old February 18th 06, 04:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Point taken. However, if those who switch to Google as a free means of
posting, because their ISP has removed the news service, are educated,
with the reminder they could be widely ignored if they fail to quote
and post in a sensible way, then the 'rest' of use will be able to
continue in the same way as we have, though I suppose 'ignoring' 50%
of posts would essen the benefits of Usenet.

Agreed. I think we should all do our bit to point newbies in the right
direction, there was an excellent article on using Usenet in Micro Mart a
few weeks ago. How nice to be able to have an informed discussion, I
feared this might turn into a 'I'm right, your wrong' thread. As they say
in Oz, good on yer mate!!

Oh BTW, I used hacker, meaning someone who hacks code,

Yes, understood! I'm not in my twenties, either. Peter M

Nice one, sounds like you have also seen computers etc grow up like I have.

Cheers

Dave

Old February 18th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Dave Stanton wrote:
Check post by Ivor - there will be no service from March 17th
on Wanadoo, anyway. They mention a few paid-for services and
using Google. Via Google Groups news is free, though I think
it is text-only. There are other text-only services that can
be used, some with monthly or annual fees, some with a fee to
cover a number of GB of traffic.

But PLEASE don't use google groups, its crap and broken. Get a decent
newsgroup client and a use a proper news service.

Used properly (and I concede it's not intuitive for that) Google
Groups is fine. I use it when away from home, to keep track of things
on Usenet simply because my regular internet connections I have access
to have Port 119 closed.

Remember also if you're in an Internet Café you can't exactly go and
install a newsreader client, and set up your account details on it. I
do have a portable version of Thunderbird on a USB stick, but again in
Internet Cafes I've tried it in, Port 119 is still shut (as well as POP3).

--
Mark