Why are ISP's dropping NNTP

Old February 18th 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scared

Default Why are ISP's dropping NNTP

Why are ISP's dropping nntp , I can understand binaries, but test only
services can't take up much bandwidth or server power

Do people think this will spread to all ISP's. Google is ok , but not as
good as downloading the messages via an nntp client?

Alternatively is there a client which can download msgs from Google news ??

thanks

Old February 18th 06, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Scared wrote:
Why are ISP's dropping nntp , I can understand binaries, but test only
services can't take up much bandwidth or server power

Do people think this will spread to all ISP's. Google is ok , but not
as good as downloading the messages via an nntp client?

Alternatively is there a client which can download msgs from Google
news ??

Who is dropping NNTP?

Old February 18th 06, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Beck wrote:

Who is dropping NNTP?

AOL has already done so, Wanadoo says it will (see post from
Ivor Jones, and follow-ups today on Wandoo news query)

Old February 18th 06, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Beck wrote:

Who is dropping NNTP?

Ha! I can see why you posted now, with NNTP not itself
being "dropped" but an ISP-based (ie no extra fee) news
service being dropped, which is how I accepted original
post to be suggesting... Peter.

Old February 18th 06, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Scared wrote:

Why are ISP's dropping nntp , I can understand binaries, but test only
services can't take up much bandwidth or server power

It does seem odd. A while ago, Eclipse had no news service at all. The
19.99 Demon Home account has no news access, and now the Home Office a/c
has no mention of news (as if they could withdraw it as it isn't part of
any product description on their website pages). Plus.Net's BB Plus a/c
is pretty much useless for binaries (with no indication of that on their
web site pages, AFAIK) and they were suggesting it may become text-only,
but while their news service is less than ideal, they have not yet found
the nerve to outsource it to a reliable commercial news facility. Clara
still seems to be soldiering on, but I don't use their binaries, so have
no knowledge as to how well that part copes.

Google is ok, but not as good as downloading the messages

Agreed. I guess some might switch ISP rather than use Google or pay any
additional fees to use external news services. Seems likely that Usenet
will be classed as an even more "limited interest" service compared with
peer-to-peer. Well, I'm unaffected by speed restrictions on the latter,
as I don't have any need to use it, but seeing the way some ISPs are now
adding "traffic calming" is bad news for customers, in general, if there
are only a few types of traffic someone uses and they keep being hit for
using "too much" on some changeable scale where the ISP is ready to move
the goalposts every 6 months (possibly before they tell customers)! PGM.

Old February 18th 06, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Peter M wrote:
Beck wrote:

Who is dropping NNTP?

AOL has already done so, Wanadoo says it will (see post from
Ivor Jones, and follow-ups today on Wandoo news query)

Thanks, sorry was the first thread I read when I opened the group this
morning. Should have read a little bit more :-)

Old February 18th 06, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Peter M wrote:
Beck wrote:

Who is dropping NNTP?

Ha! I can see why you posted now, with NNTP not itself
being "dropped" but an ISP-based (ie no extra fee) news
service being dropped, which is how I accepted original
post to be suggesting... Peter.

LOL no I wish I was being that clever, but no I simply did not know the news
at the time of posting. I see what you mean though :-)

Old February 18th 06, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:35:16 -0000, "Scared" wrote:

Why are ISP's dropping nntp , I can understand binaries, but test only
services can't take up much bandwidth or server power

It's the cost of maintenance.

Do people think this will spread to all ISP's. Google is ok , but not as
good as downloading the messages via an nntp client?

IMO Google groups (or any other web based groups) is a poor substitute
for a good NNTP client.

Hopefully some ISP's may reconsider that NNTP is a good way to promote
their services but it would need to be marketed. I notice that the ISP
I use no longer mentions NNTP but they haven't pulled the plug.

Alternatively is there a client which can download msgs from Google news ??

I don't know of any but it would be very useful. You can get Google
groups by email but you can't reply and it's a pain to set up.

http://www.easynn.com
Old February 18th 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Le Lievre

Scared wrote:
Why are ISP's dropping nntp , I can understand binaries, but test only
services can't take up much bandwidth or server power

Do people think this will spread to all ISP's. Google is ok , but not
as good as downloading the messages via an nntp client?

Alternatively is there a client which can download msgs from Google
news ??

I used to use news.individual.net for my NNTP access but they started
charging per month so then I went to www.teranews.com where you can sign up
for a free account for $3.95 one time setup charge to your credit card. They
have started adding ads to every message since last week but it works fine.
Using Outlook Express and OE Quotefix to compose my messages.

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well

Old February 18th 06, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charlie Drake

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
I used to use news.individual.net for my NNTP access but they started
charging per month so then I went to www.teranews.com where you can sign up
for a free account for $3.95 one time setup charge to your credit card. They
have started adding ads to every message since last week but it works fine.
Using Outlook Express and OE Quotefix to compose my messages.

NIN charge 10 Euros (approx 7.0) per year, which is excellent value at
60p a month

Charlie