Netgear Security Alerts?

Old February 18th 06, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Netgear Security Alerts?

Can anyone tell me what this means and why I keep getting similar entries in
the logs recently?

Netgear *Security Alert* TCP Packet - Source:192.168.0.20,2102.
Destination:81.236.137.182, -

Thanks

Steve

Old February 18th 06, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Can anyone tell me what this means and why I keep getting similar entries in
the logs recently?
Netgear *Security Alert* TCP Packet - Source:192.168.0.20,2102.
Destination:81.236.137.182, -

The destination IP address appears to be for Telia in Sweden...

What ISP are you with ?

Have you scanned your machine recently for spyware etc ?

I`ve got some "newbie" level info at http://www.coreutilities.co.uk
but there might be some other useful links for you to try.

I came across a variant of Smitfraud the other day (on someone elses'
machine) and I wasn`t able to clear it completely - its a desktop
hijacker, but constantly updated itself to avoid detection.

No doubt we`ll get the guy sorted eventually, but there are new and
particularly difficult to remove strains out there.

(SmitRem wasn`t able to clear it completely before anyone suggests it)

--- Please add "newsgroup" in the subject of any personal replies ---
--- My anti-spam address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---
Old February 18th 06, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Can anyone tell me what this means and why I keep getting similar

entries in
the logs recently?
Netgear *Security Alert* TCP Packet - Source:192.168.0.20,2102.
Destination:81.236.137.182, -

The destination IP address appears to be for Telia in Sweden...

What ISP are you with ?

Have you scanned your machine recently for spyware etc ?

To tell you the truth Colin, the network is used to a bunch of university
students. That probably answers the questin eh? I understand they all use
P2P etc... limewire and the like. Suppose its an accident waiting to
happen really. Oh well, I`ll let them get on with it.

Steve

Old February 19th 06, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

[...]

Yeah, that Smitfraud is a real PIA to get rid of. Just managed to clear if
off a friends PC, but took some effort
It also had Trojan.intell32 and Jupites.B - I don't know how many times I've
said not to allow stuff he doesn't recognise and to run Spybot and Ad-Aware
at least once a week. Installed Windows Defender now and set it to run
every day. He's using McAfee AV and Zone Alarm, so should be adequately
protected