Any thoughts on V21?

Old February 18th 06, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Pollard

Default Any thoughts on V21?

Hi
A friend of mine is looking for a reasonably priced broadband
service. She has simple requirements and just needs e-mail and some
browsing at present. This one looks OK to me but I would like the
opinions of others before I recommend one for her to use. Your input
appreciated.

Ian
Old February 18th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Ian Pollard wrote:

This one looks OK to me but I would like the opinions of others
before I recommend one for her to use. Your input appreciated.

a) check for comments on www.ADSLguide.org

b) check if they still have an 'exit fee' of 30 quid, unlike
every (?) other ISP in the UK, which can mean that a switch
to another ISP would cost up to 45 quid, after their minimum
term has ended... (Some ISPs charge a fee of up to about 15
quid to cover what BT charges them for the migration). PGM

Old February 18th 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
wmcn3096

If he downloads something significant like a movie from a newsgroup, he may
find his details mysteriously and apparently voluntarily find their way
into the hands of the MPAA. I can't comment on whether it'll be an
independent NSP or V21 who might supply them with the information, but my
suspicions rest on the latter ...

Ian Pollard wrote in
:

Old February 18th 06, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Pollard

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:00:54 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

a) check for comments on www.ADSLguide.org

b) check if they still have an 'exit fee' of 30 quid, unlike
every (?) other ISP in the UK, which can mean that a switch
to another ISP would cost up to 45 quid, after their minimum
term has ended... (Some ISPs charge a fee of up to about 15
quid to cover what BT charges them for the migration). PGM

Many thanks, the service is needed now also by my daughter and after a
visit to ADSLguide.org it looks like it might be ukonline's cheapest
option. She is a student and I cannot afford to be paying out too much
;-)

Ian
Old February 18th 06, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mel

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message ...
Hi
A friend of mine is looking for a reasonably priced broadband
service. She has simple requirements and just needs e-mail and some
browsing at present. This one looks OK to me but I would like the
opinions of others before I recommend one for her to use. Your input
appreciated.

Ian

I would avoid V21, 30 outbound migration fee and a minimum one year contract
just for starters.

Take a look at the complaints forum and the V21 forum over at www.ispreview.co.uk
you should find plenty of good reason to avoid them, you may also want
to consider avoiding the dozens of V21 resellers too.

Old February 19th 06, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Pollard

Take a look at the complaints forum and the V21 forum over at www.ispreview.co.uk
you should find plenty of good reason to avoid them, you may also want
to consider avoiding the dozens of V21 resellers too.

I think V21 is a non starter now. My daughter really doesn't want a
twelve month contract as, being mobile, wants the option of moving on
before the year is up.

Ian
Old February 19th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Ian Pollard wrote:

I think V21 is a non starter now. My daughter really doesn't want a
twelve month contract as, being mobile, wants the option of moving on
before the year is up.

That cuts down the options a lot, if funds are tight, because there'll
be a 40 +VAT activation fee to find. I think UK Online would also be
less of an option (their 9.99 service depends on LLU being available
and that is currently available at a relatively small number of the
BT exchanges across the UK, and they probably have 12 month min).

Old February 19th 06, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
_

"Mel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message
Hi
A friend of mine is looking for a reasonably priced broadband
service. She has simple requirements and just needs e-mail and some
browsing at present. This one looks OK to me but I would like the
opinions of others before I recommend one for her to use. Your input
appreciated.

Ian

I would avoid V21, 30 outbound migration fee and a minimum one year
contract
just for starters.

1 year contact ? Fast4 (use to be tied in with v21 as a virtual ISP) do some
good deals for BB with 1 month contract, cheapest is 9.98 for 15hrs a
month... www.fast4.net

Old February 19th 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

1 year contact ? Fast4 (use to be tied in with v21 as a virtual
ISP) do some good deals for BB with 1 month contract, cheapest
is 9.98 for 15hrs a month... www.fast4.net

Given there are other services at up to 8 Mbps for 12.99/month
(but with 500 MB limit), I can see few with time limits being
very popular. I know a few exist, but can see limited point.

At least with low quota services (500 MB to 1 GB) people can
check for e-mail and use the web and browse, without looking
at the clock, but if you are limited to 15 hours, you may as
well use some dial-up service... Claranet have some evening
account (around 350 hours a month) for 9.99/month ! Peter.

Old February 19th 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Pollard

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:59:18 -0000, "_" wrote:

1 year contact ? Fast4 (use to be tied in with v21 as a virtual ISP) do some
good deals for BB with 1 month contract, cheapest is 9.98 for 15hrs a
month... www.fast4.net

Many thanks, I have passed on all of the recommendations with links.

Ian