HELP: NON NAT HIGH SPEED MODEM ROUTERS

Old February 18th 06, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default HELP: NON NAT HIGH SPEED MODEM ROUTERS

Hi

I have just bought a Belkin 125MB wireless modem router.

I have just found out that this router uses NAT. I now need help
finding high speed wireless modem routers that do not use NAT.

I have 5 external IP's which need to be related to internal IP's. This
is important as I have FTP and remote desktop sessions running
constantly.

Any recommendations?

Old February 18th 06, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

Default NON NAT HIGH SPEED MODEM ROUTERS

wrote in message
ups.com...
: Hi
:
: I have just bought a Belkin 125MB wireless modem router.
:
: I have just found out that this router uses NAT. I now need help
: finding high speed wireless modem routers that do not use NAT.
:
: I have 5 external IP's which need to be related to internal IP's. This
: is important as I have FTP and remote desktop sessions running
: constantly.
:
: Any recommendations?
:

Why is "nat" a problem ?

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk

Old February 19th 06, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I have just bought a Belkin 125MB wireless modem router.

I have just found out that this router uses NAT. I now need help
finding high speed wireless modem routers that do not use NAT.

I have 5 external IP's which need to be related to internal IP's. This
is important as I have FTP and remote desktop sessions running
constantly.

Any recommendations?

Vigor 2800G
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800.html

Old February 19th 06, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Murray

"Joker7" writes:

Why is "nat" a problem ?

Because of the way that many ADSL routers only handle the 1-many
variant of NAT where a single public IP address (that of the WAN
interface) is NAT'd into multiple IP addresses on the LAN side. This
is inconvenient (to say the least) when you have a multiple IP address
block especially if you require access to more than one system on the
LAN from outside, as although many routers provide a DMZ capability it
can normally only contain a single system.

When you have multiple IP addresses allocated you either need a router
which does no NAT, and presents the global IP addresses on the LAN
interface or you need a router which does many-many NAT (which not
many ADSL routers have) where you can map external IP addresses to
specific local IP addresses on the LAN.
Old February 19th 06, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Graham Murray wrote:

When you have multiple IP addresses allocated you either need a router
which does no NAT, and presents the global IP addresses on the LAN
interface or you need a router which does many-many NAT (which not
many ADSL routers have) where you can map external IP addresses to
specific local IP addresses on the LAN.

Or you could (not suggesting this as best idea!) disable the NAT feature
on a (relatively cheap) ADSL modem/router and on the LAN side, plug in a
second (cheap) router (no ADSL modem) so the WAN side has one of many IP
addresses with LAN side handling any more PCs which need to be via NAT.

I'd have thought NAT could be disabled on whatever model Belkin this is,
so the original poster might consider this method, though the need for a
wireless model would make this less attractive, perhaps. Peter M.

Old February 19th 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Graham Murray wrote:
"Joker7" writes:

Why is "nat" a problem ?

Because of the way that many ADSL routers only handle the 1-many
variant of NAT where a single public IP address (that of the WAN
interface) is NAT'd into multiple IP addresses on the LAN side. This
is inconvenient (to say the least) when you have a multiple IP address
block especially if you require access to more than one system on the
LAN from outside, as although many routers provide a DMZ capability it
can normally only contain a single system.

When you have multiple IP addresses allocated you either need a router
which does no NAT, and presents the global IP addresses on the LAN
interface or you need a router which does many-many NAT (which not
many ADSL routers have) where you can map external IP addresses to
specific local IP addresses on the LAN.

If it's of any relevance Zyxel routers (well all the ones I have seen)
do many to many NAT.

--
Chris Green

Old February 19th 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Alastair wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I have just bought a Belkin 125MB wireless modem router.

I have just found out that this router uses NAT. I now need help
finding high speed wireless modem routers that do not use NAT.

I have 5 external IP's which need to be related to internal IP's. This
is important as I have FTP and remote desktop sessions running
constantly.

Any recommendations?

Vigor 2800G
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800.html

.... or, as I said, a Zyxel.

--
Chris Green

Old February 19th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Peter M wrote:

I'd have thought NAT could be disabled on whatever model Belkin this
is, so the original poster might consider this method, though the
need for a wireless model would make this less attractive, perhaps. Peter
M.

I disabled NAT in my router (d-link) and could not connect to my isp, seemed
that the isp required it maybe?

Old February 19th 06, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"Graham Murray" wrote in message
: "Joker7" writes:
:
: Why is "nat" a problem ?
:
: Because of the way that many ADSL routers only handle the 1-many
: variant of NAT where a single public IP address (that of the WAN
: interface) is NAT'd into multiple IP addresses on the LAN side. This
: is inconvenient (to say the least) when you have a multiple IP address
: block especially if you require access to more than one system on the
: LAN from outside, as although many routers provide a DMZ capability it
: can normally only contain a single system.
:
: When you have multiple IP addresses allocated you either need a router
: which does no NAT, and presents the global IP addresses on the LAN
: interface or you need a router which does many-many NAT (which not
: many ADSL routers have) where you can map external IP addresses to
: specific local IP addresses on the LAN.

Maybe then something like smoothwall on a old box then the wireless lan side
..

Chris