Restricted to 1Mbit - Line or BT?

Old February 19th 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Williams

Default Restricted to 1Mbit - Line or BT?

Recently ordered 2Mbit BT Broadband for our new appartment and was suprised
to be told during the online registration process that due to 'limitations'
we can only be offered 1Mbit and would 'automatically be upgraded' to 2Mbit
as soon as it is available. This without any line test or engineer visit.
Now, we live in the dead centre of the city so I cannot imagine it is a line
issue... are BT limited by capacity in some exchanges? the throughput on the
line is noticably slower than our previous installation.

Had it been a line issue I would have thought they would have done a test
and then advised the limitation but this came up straight after putting the
phone number in the ordering system.

It is just BT being crap and am I ever likely to get 2Mbit?!

Old February 19th 06, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

David Williams wrote:
Recently ordered 2Mbit BT Broadband for our new appartment and was suprised
to be told during the online registration process that due to 'limitations'
we can only be offered 1Mbit and would 'automatically be upgraded' to 2Mbit
as soon as it is available. This without any line test or engineer visit.
Now, we live in the dead centre of the city so I cannot imagine it is a line
issue... are BT limited by capacity in some exchanges? the throughput on the
line is noticably slower than our previous installation.

Can you access any line statistics from your modem?
Old February 19th 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark eldon

put your details here

www.samknows.com

under availability checker

"David Williams" wrote in message
Recently ordered 2Mbit BT Broadband for our new appartment and was
suprised to be told during the online registration process that due to
'limitations' we can only be offered 1Mbit and would 'automatically be
upgraded' to 2Mbit as soon as it is available. This without any line

test
or engineer visit. Now, we live in the dead centre of the city so I

cannot
imagine it is a line issue... are BT limited by capacity in some
exchanges? the throughput on the line is noticably slower than our

Had it been a line issue I would have thought they would have done a

test
and then advised the limitation but this came up straight after putting
the phone number in the ordering system.

It is just BT being crap and am I ever likely to get 2Mbit?!

It has removed 0 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Old February 19th 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

"David Williams" wrote in message
Recently ordered 2Mbit BT Broadband for our new appartment and was
suprised to be told during the online registration process that due to
'limitations' we can only be offered 1Mbit and would 'automatically be
upgraded' to 2Mbit as soon as it is available. This without any line test
or engineer visit. Now, we live in the dead centre of the city so I cannot
imagine it is a line issue... are BT limited by capacity in some
exchanges? the throughput on the line is noticably slower than our

Had it been a line issue I would have thought they would have done a test
and then advised the limitation but this came up straight after putting
the phone number in the ordering system.

It is just BT being crap and am I ever likely to get 2Mbit?!

What did BT say when you asked them?

Old February 19th 06, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Williams

Shows full services available...

Old February 19th 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Williams

Can you access any line statistics from your modem?

Certainly-

Data Rate
Stream Type Interleaved Channel Data Rate Fast Channel Data Rate
Up Stream 0 (Kbps.) 288 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 0 (Kbps.) 1152 (Kbps.)

Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 27 dB 35.5 dB
Output Power 12 dBm 10 dBm
Attenuation 5 dB 12 dB

Old February 19th 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Williams

What did BT say when you asked them?

err, its BT.... sales say call technical support, technical support say call
sales.

Old February 20th 06, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Williams

Thanks for the replys. I actually got through to someone with a clue at BT
today and they have immediately regraded me. The availability checkers
always showed full service available, it was just BTs own broadband ordering
system that immediately forced me to 1Mbit (they have no idea why).

Good to know that I should be able to get 8Mbit when available- the exchange
(which I've found out is *literally* over the road!) is due for ADSL Max
upgrade the end of March. Hopefully commerical service will be available
shortly after.