Day 1 of Metronet's assimilation by Plusnet

Old February 20th 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

Default Day 1 of Metronet's assimilation by Plusnet

"David M" wrote in message
Hmm. This is not looking like the best of starts.

Today was D-Day for Metronet's assimilation by Plusnet.

Goodbye to Metronet's friendly email support, hello to Plusnet's
ruthlessly-efficient (but somewhat impersonal) support portal. And of
course, today would just happen to be the day that I actually need
support, for a very rare change.

Yesterday: my ADSL works as perfectly as ever.
Today: the lights are on and blinking, but there's nobody home.

Some diagnostics at my end (good old [email protected]_domain) seem to
indicate that it's not an exchange fault. Hmm, Plusnet assimilates, my
ADSL fails: it's just a coincidence, right?

Thanks to the magic of wwwoffle (which, even with broadband, I still use
to keep a local cache of frequently visited pages!) I do have Metronet's
support website cached, or at least enough of it to let me know the
emergency holographic dialup details. Now, where did I bury that analog
modem..

Fault duly logged with Metronet++, no problems in doing so (apart from
the climatic shock of readapting to dialup speeds).

But hang on, what's this, there's another ticket in my shiny new ticket
log already?

"Account restricted: billing failed"

Hmm, maybe this isn't _actually_ a connectivity fault after all..

Now, hang on a minute. It just so happens that the day my monthly bill
is issued is, guess what, today, and I sure as hell *hadn't received* the
usual email invoice before the plugs got pulled. Given that my Metronet
bill can be variable, I can hardly psychically predict a payment before
it's issued, now can I?

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I have 14 days to pay the bill, so
who's going around pulling plugs not only on the first day, but before
the bill is even issued to me?

Naturally I'll pay the bill in due course, but it has to be said that
Plusnet's dumbfoundedly heavy-handed attitude here isn't inspiring
confidence. I've been a previous, and I should point out, entirely
satisfied, customer of Plusnet in the past, but this is hardly a
courteous welcome to new customers that inspires confidence in the
current organisation.

I wonder how many other Metronet customers are having headaches today?

David.

--
David M. -- Edinburgh, Scotland.--[en, fr, (de)]--[reply-to valid 365d]
Please trim quotes & interleave reply for readability, don't be lazy

ADSL Connectivity - NEW
Due to the recent changes to Metronet support we are aware of a problem
where some customers billed over the weekend are experiencing connectivity
issues today. We are working to resolve this and hope to have it fixed by
this afternoon.

We apologise for any inconvenience that this causes.

Kind Regards,

Jon Whiting
Customer Support

I am personally disappointed that the Metronet Exchange Status Checker / MSO
reporting stuff has gone.
The PlusNet version is not as good and BT give us users sod all information