Tiscali new server

Old February 20th 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default Tiscali new server

After getting repeated slow responses and timeouts from news.tiscali.co.uk I
started to use dp-new.maxwell.syr.edu all was well for a few weeks but I'm
now having similar problems with that server. I don't understand nntp, so I
am hoping that someone here could help me with diagnosis.

If I ping news.tiscali.co.uk the typical round trip time is 20 to 25 ms.
This is true even when the news reader (OE) is telling me the server is not
responding.

The agent in the Tiscali call centre told me that they have not had any
other complaints of problems accessing unsenet servers, but he would have
the problem checked out a higher level. Although a very polite person, I got
a strong impression that he did not understand what nntp or news server was,
so I'm not optimistic about getting any improvement.

Is there anything I can do to verify that the problem is not with my system?
web browsing and mail server performance is fine.

The recent problems of slow transfer rates with Tiscali in the evenings now
seems to be resolved. I typically get close to 2 mbps even at peak times.
This latest problem is purely related to nntp servers.

Thanks,

Chris B

Old February 20th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

I forgot to add in my previous post that I am using only text based groups,
with very short messages. No binary groups are used.

Chris

Old February 20th 06, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

:
[...]

There was to reasons I left Tiscali the speed of all news servers I put
this down to speed shaping,the other was the call center in a far off land.

If you can get pass the Indea, the uk second tire tec support is ok, but
the first lot I may as well talk to here in doors.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk

:

Old February 21st 06, 07:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bert

Newssevers have been a problem for many years. Part of the postings never
appear, service is for the last few weeks very slow again.
Has this been posted on the Tiscali forum?
Bert.