Where to search for ADSL ISPs with 'extras'?

Old February 21st 06, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Where to search for ADSL ISPs with 'extras'?

None of the 'well known' ADSL search web sites (e.g. ISP Review,
WhichISP.com, adslguide.org.uk) offer any sort of information on which
ISPs offer extras such as VOIP services, FAX to EMail, shell access, etc.

Are there any sites which do allow one to search for such extras? I
know one can use Google and try and refine things by stages but given
that these terms are in such widespread use it's difficult to get
anything useful.

I'm looking for a backup ISP and one that provides any/all of the above
might just be the way to go given that price rarely differentiates them.

--
Chris Green

Old February 21st 06, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trev

wrote in message ...
None of the 'well known' ADSL search web sites (e.g. ISP Review,
WhichISP.com, adslguide.org.uk) offer any sort of information on which
ISPs offer extras such as VOIP services, FAX to EMail, shell access, etc.

Are there any sites which do allow one to search for such extras? I
know one can use Google and try and refine things by stages but given
that these terms are in such widespread use it's difficult to get
anything useful.

I'm looking for a backup ISP and one that provides any/all of the above
might just be the way to go given that price rarely differentiates them.

--
Chris Green

Extras! They think e-mail web space and definatley news servers are extras,
in these days of cuting costs

Old February 21st 06, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

wrote:

None of the 'well known' ADSL search web sites (e.g. ISP Review,
WhichISP.com, adslguide.org.uk) offer any sort of information on which
ISPs offer extras such as VOIP services, FAX to EMail, shell access, etc.

The 'search' facility on ADSLguide doesn't include anything about quota
systems either - quite difficult to compare the ISPs when you cannot so
easily see whether a lower cost service gives you similar access or the
fact it is cheaper is because it is restricted to (say) 1 GB of data.

Of course there are some difficulties when some ISPs say "fair use" so
they don't specify a limit, or claim a 'variable limit' like Plus.Net,
on their cheap Broadband plus a/c where 5 GB of traffic seems their
'acceptable' limit (though it may be reduced, from some thread on
ADSLguide's Plus.Net message board area).

Are there any sites which do allow one to search for such extras?

Don't know of any such site - it might be something someone could do,
but when there's ADSLguide as pretty comprehensive source, widely used,
I'm not sure whether anyone else would want to invest time or money into
doing something similar/better.

I'm looking for a backup ISP and one that provides any/all of the above
might just be the way to go given that price rarely differentiates them.

I would suggest getting such services elsewhere than with an ISP - they
are going to offer you numbers or facilities locked to service with them
and if you have any reason to leave, or a dispute, then not only might a
connection be disabled, but web site, and the rest of the services too!

Old February 21st 06, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Trev trevbowdenATdsl.pipexDOTnet wrote:
Extras! They think e-mail web space and definatley news servers are extras,
in these days of cuting costs

Rightly so. Why should I have to pay for them if all I want is an
internet connection? Completely transparent pricing would be good.

-- Richard
Old February 21st 06, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter M wrote:

I'm looking for a backup ISP and one that provides any/all of the above
might just be the way to go given that price rarely differentiates them.

I would suggest getting such services elsewhere than with an ISP - they
are going to offer you numbers or facilities locked to service with them
and if you have any reason to leave, or a dispute, then not only might a
connection be disabled, but web site, and the rest of the services too!

I sort of do that already, I'm simply trying to rationalise (as much
as possible) my already diverse collection of domain registering,
hosting, ISP[ing] and other companies.

--
Chris Green