router question

Old February 21st 06, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
me

Default router question

Simple question here... i have a router... i want to access my system from
the internet. do i need to alter the router setting to direct the request
from the public ip to the home network? if so what setting do i have to
change

kev....

Old February 21st 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
me

was hopping to use pcanywhere

"Mark" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:25:02 -0000, "me"
wrote:

Simple question here... i have a router... i want to access my system
from
the internet. do i need to alter the router setting to direct the request
from the public ip to the home network? if so what setting do i have to
change

Depends on the application that you are going to communicate with,
but port forwarding is what its all about.

BUT, do consider the security implications of what you are attempting
to do.

Old February 21st 06, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

me wrote:
: Simple question here... i have a router... i want to access my system from
: the internet. do i need to alter the router setting to direct the request
: from the public ip to the home network? if so what setting do i have to
: change

I use VNC at home. This needs Tcp port 5900 incoming from the external network
to a machine on the internal network. What this needs on my router (DG834G)

1) Define a service (VNC) as TCP port 5900
2) Define a router firewall rule to redirect 'VNC' to the internal system
(192.168.?.?) running the VNC server
3) Define any connection logging for the incoming port as desired
4) Preferably limit the range of external addresses allowed to connect (my
router will only accepting incoming VNC from a known IP address range).

Also, as my ISP uses dynamic addressing, I arrange for the router to register
at www.dyndns.org on boot so I can find it externally by name.
Old February 21st 06, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Brian McIlwrath wrote:

I use VNC at home. This needs Tcp port 5900 incoming ...

1) Define a service (VNC) as TCP port 5900

FWIW, VNC can be set to use 5900 to 5909 (and also in parallel, may be
used from a browser with Java, on ports 5800 to 5809). I'd seriously
recommend using something above xxx5 because there's free s/w around
which will scan 5800,5801,5802 at least, looking for VNC to answer.

Also, as my ISP uses dynamic addressing, I arrange for the router to
register at www.dyndns.org on boot so I can find it externally by name.

If you happen to run Windows XP, www.logmein.com can be used, for free,
and will allow a remote PC to get connected via an encrypted link...
It handles dynamic IP too, without any need for dyndns.org, etc.

Old February 22nd 06, 08:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Peter M wrote:
: FWIW, VNC can be set to use 5900 to 5909 (and also in parallel, may be
: used from a browser with Java, on ports 5800 to 5809). I'd seriously
: recommend using something above xxx5 because there's free s/w around
: which will scan 5800,5801,5802 at least, looking for VNC to answer.

The way I have it setup is that VNC will only answer to a very specfic
incoming address range (and is logged).

: If you happen to run Windows XP, www.logmein.com can be used, for free,
: and will allow a remote PC to get connected via an encrypted link...
: It handles dynamic IP too, without any need for dyndns.org, etc.

I use both Linux and XP. DynDNS is convenient as it is built into the router
and allows for ssh access when the PC is running Linux.
Old February 22nd 06, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Brian McIlwrath wrote:

The way I have it setup is that VNC will only answer to a very specfic
incoming address range (and is logged).

Great! Not everyone would necessarily have the same abilities (until a
hack attempt/success) to restrict the IPs allowed access, or to log the
attempt... It was as much a warning for others as a comment FYI.

I use both Linux and XP. DynDNS is convenient as it is built into the
router and allows for ssh access when the PC is running Linux.

Many home users probably only use Windows XP, and for them, without any
need of a router capable of doing that dyndns update, logmein.com would
provide them with similar (if not better) functionality IMO. Understood
that someone using older or alternative OS would probably find VNC fine
in all cases, after they've done some router config. I believe logmein
could probably handle 20+ PCs in one location which may be difficult or
impossible with VNC... Each PC using logmein.com "calls home" and then
sessions can be established with encryption, even from a Win 98 PC. PGM

Old February 22nd 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

windoze xp already has stuff in it called remote desktop
all you need to do is tick the box in system (control panel)
make sure you have a password (it won't allow access if your password is 0
chars long)
read up on port fordwarding
the port remote desktop uses is 3389 TCP

Old February 23rd 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.cardiffpersonals.co.uk

Many home users probably only use Windows XP, and for them, without any
need of a router capable of doing that dyndns update, logmein.com would
provide them with similar (if not better) functionality IMO. Understood
that someone using older or alternative OS would probably find VNC fine
in all cases, after they've done some router config. I believe logmein
could probably handle 20+ PCs in one location which may be difficult or
impossible with VNC... Each PC using logmein.com "calls home" and then
sessions can be established with encryption, even from a Win 98 PC. PGM

remember windows XP home does not offer Remote Dektop. Only Windows XP Pro
does.

VNC works well.

Looking for Love?
www.cardiffpersonals.co.uk