Telewest Router upgrade problem

Old February 22nd 06, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel

Default Telewest Router upgrade problem

It's a long one but here goes.

My uncle has Blueyonder broadband. It was supplied with a Netgear MR814v2TW
wireless router. All has been working fine. The problem is I stupidly said
we'd add a wireless print server so he can print from his laptop anywhere in
the house. When I came to add this device, I found it didn't work. On
checking on the internet for advice I found out that the Netgear MR814v2TW
wireless router has been "hacked" by Telewest so it only supports one device
at a time. On further reading on the net, the advice seemed to be replacing
the Netgear unit with a new wireless router. So I purchased a D-Link DI-624
and plugged it in, in place of the Netgear.

The problem is that the D-Link unit doesn't "see" the WAN connection. The
laptop sees the router and can access the setup page etc. Some of the things
I've tried are, to make the new router appear to have the same MAC address
as the old router, to set the DNS ip addresses, I've connected the old
router's LAN output to the new routers WAN input. But I've now run out of
ideas.

Please help.

If any further information would help solve the problem, please ask.

--
Nigel Page

CompTIA A+ Certified Professional

Microsoft Certified Professional (70-270)

Old February 22nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Silk

Nigel wrote:
It's a long one but here goes.

My uncle has Blueyonder broadband.

He has my deepest sympathy.
Old February 23rd 06, 07:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel

Thanks I'll pass the message on, but that's not very helpful.

Old February 23rd 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

"Nigel" wrote in message
It's a long one but here goes.

The problem is that the D-Link unit doesn't "see" the WAN connection. The
laptop sees the router and can access the setup page etc. Some of the
things I've tried are, to make the new router appear to have the same MAC
address as the old router, to set the DNS ip addresses, I've connected the
old router's LAN output to the new routers WAN input. But I've now run out
of ideas.

All you *should* need to do is:

Turn off router & cable modem / Set Top Box
Turn on CM/STB, wait for the unit to "settle"
Turn on the router.

The power-cycle of the CM/STB is important to flush its memory of MAC
addresses.

Old February 23rd 06, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"phantom" wrote in message
. uk...

The power-cycle of the CM/STB is important to flush its memory of MAC
addresses.

I would add that you have to pull the mains plug.. the switch on many cable
modems doesn't turn them off.

Old February 23rd 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Silk:
Nigel wrote:
It's a long one but here goes.

My uncle has Blueyonder broadband.

He has my deepest sympathy.

Don't know why, Blueyonder is a very good service, it's just TW TV and phone
that is crap.

--
For 5 when referred to easyMobile contact me via
www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk

Old February 23rd 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Silk

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

Don't know why, Blueyonder is a very good service, it's just TW TV and phone
that is crap.

The whole lot would probably be ok if they had right people running it.
Old February 26th 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel

I would like to thank Phantom & [email protected] for there help solving this
problem.

I did as was suggested, unplugging the Set Top Box, and plugging everything
back in again, and now it all works!

Thanks again,
Regards
Nigel.