costs for VOIP over DSL in the UK

Old May 9th 05, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default costs for VOIP over DSL in the UK

In article , Phil Thompson
writes:

A DSL connection is EUR 15--25 per month, depending on speed. A DSL
flat rate can be had for EUR 10 per month. How do these prices compare
to the UK?

can you confirm that one would need to buy *both* the "DSL connection"
and the "DSL flat rate" ie total EUR 25-35/month (in addition to the
phone line rental). For GBP 17.99 per month = EUR 26.4 per month we
have 512k DSL connections without limits on use, or a 1 Mbits/s
service including 2GB/month or many other options from over 100 ISPs.

There is the phone connection (EUR 15), the DSL connection (15--25
depending on speed, from 1024 to 3076 or in some places 5120) and the
DSL internet fee, EUR 7--10 depending on where one is located is the
cheapest rate. The DSL connection is just the physical connection; you
also need an "internet connection". Of course, some providers might
offer both together as a package deal. This is down to the Telekom
being a former state facility, so it had a monopoly and still does in
many respects. In particular, it controls most of the "physical
connections", but is required to rent them to other providers who
generally pass on the rent with no markup. The "DSL flat rate" from the
Telekom is one of the most expensive at about 40 EUR per month.

Until recently, a flat rate was relatively expensive (EUR 25 or so, in
addition to the connection), so time- or volume-limited tarifs were
popular, but the trend now is to no-limit (neither time nor volume) flat
rates with speeds of 1024--3076.

With DSL, VOIP is generally free to other VOIP folks, and 1 cent a
minute for normal telephone numbers. The flat rate for VOIP, which is
24x7, is about EUR 10 and worth it if you spend more than 16 hours a
month on the phone.

Old May 13th 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

There is the phone connection (EUR 15), the DSL connection (15--25
depending on speed, from 1024 to 3076 or in some places 5120) and the
DSL internet fee, EUR 7--10 depending on where one is located is the
cheapest rate. The DSL connection is just the physical connection; you
also need an "internet connection".

Germany is indeed the only country I know, where you pay your connection
time on top of the ADSL connection (or to buy a flat rate).
I have a daughter living in Hmburg, and indeed she has to pay for the
conncetion time (I guess 1cent/minute). Expensive story if you forgot to
logoff !!!
In most other countries in the world you are connected 24/24 to the internet
VOIP over broadband is of course useless if you are not connected 24/24

Broadband is expensive in DE because lack of competition
In other countries, there is real competition between ADSL providers (using
the telephone network) and the cable providers (using the coax cable
network). TV-Cable providers offering phone and broadband and vice versa:
phone providers offering TV ...
Therefore huge competiton between these 2 different media
In Germany however, most of the coax network is also owned by Deutsche
Telekom. Therefore no competition between DSL and cable (both owned by the
same company).

rgds
Philippe (Belgium)

Old May 29th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sunil Sood

"Philippe Deleye" wrote in message
Germany is indeed the only country I know, where you pay your connection
time on top of the ADSL connection (or to buy a flat rate).
I have a daughter living in Hmburg, and indeed she has to pay for the
conncetion time (I guess 1cent/minute). Expensive story if you forgot to
logoff !!!

Some ISP's offer this option in the UK - its not very popular.

Regards
Sunil

Old May 31st 05, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Henderson

I have a daughter living in Hmburg, and indeed she has to pay for the
conncetion time (I guess 1cent/minute). Expensive story if you forgot to
logoff !!!

Some ISP's offer this option in the UK - its not very
popular.

Hansenet might be a better option for Hamburg... (kinda veering
off-the-topic of uk and voip, though..!).

Old June 3rd 05, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In article .com,
"Stuart Henderson" writes:

I have a daughter living in Hmburg, and indeed she has to pay for the
conncetion time (I guess 1cent/minute). Expensive story if you forgot to
logoff !!!

Some ISP's offer this option in the UK - its not very
popular.

Hansenet might be a better option for Hamburg... (kinda veering
off-the-topic of uk and voip, though..!).

Voice over IP requires an internet connection. It's up to you what you
have. However, in Hamburg a DSL flatrate can be had for EUR 23 per
month (all costs included).