Dumb newbie question

Old May 10th 05, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

Default Dumb newbie question

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

quick VOIP question before the FAQ turns up:

Does VOIP only work in the client/server model i.e. you have to have a 3rd
party server to connect two VOIP subscribers together, or do you only need
3rd party servers to bridge between the IP network (e.g. the Internet) and
fixed/mobile telecoms subscribers?
[Thinking in WLAN terms - ad hoc or infrastructure options]

No You can call poit to point. Its just easier to use a proxy.

To put it another way, can you phone your mate directly as an alternative

using MSN chat or Netmeeting etc.?
[O.K. bad analogy as they are client/server]

Yes

The 3rd way (gripping hand?) - can you run a VOIP server on your home

Linux
server and connect incoming from a VOIP phone and from a LAN VOIP phone?

Yes. www.asterisk.org for more info

One reason is that I am away from home a lot but have access to a

Broadband
connection at my remote location.
Can I set up VOIP to get free phone calls home?

Yes

O.K. the setup cost may be huge compared with the initial saving, but can

it
be done?

Yes and the cost wont be huge either
TIA