Netgear TA612V Sipgate.

Old May 11th 05, 02:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
wooosh

Default Netgear TA612V Sipgate.

For those interested in the NETGEAR TA612V presently being offered by
Sipgate...............

Mine arrived today and took about one hour to get going. This device is not
recommended for use behind a router but it can be done.
I have a DG834G router. I set the 612v with a WAN address in the range of
the 834G and pointed all the relevant ports to this IP.
Firstly I was confused to see there are no settings whatsoever that you can
alter for the VoIP. These are all hidden from the user. You simply go to
the Sipgate site and enter the MAC address of the 612v against your account
and thats it!!
You can also set-up a second Sipgate account that will work off the second
phone port.
After a reboot an update takes place which takes 2-3 mins. I was then
online, my DECT phone works a treat and the quality is great. There are
really no issues. It just works fine.
When you return to your account on the Sipgate site you now have 555 mins
added to your account which have to be used within 2 months.

Overall I am very impressed.

Regards, Paul.

Old May 11th 05, 02:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

wooosh wrote:

Firstly I was confused to see there are no settings whatsoever that you can
alter for the VoIP. These are all hidden from the user. You simply go to
the Sipgate site and enter the MAC address of the 612v against your account
and thats it!!
You can also set-up a second Sipgate account that will work off the second
phone port.

Which is all well and good if your second account is also with Sipgate,
but how would you configure it for use with a different VoIP provider on
the second line (or on the first line, for that matter)?

Old May 11th 05, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
wooosh

You can also set-up a second Sipgate account that will work off the
second
phone port.

Which is all well and good if your second account is also with Sipgate,
but how would you configure it for use with a different VoIP provider on
the second line (or on the first line, for that matter)?

Yes, I agree. It appears well wrapped up.

The device comes in a traditional Netgear box but also has Sipgate printed
all over it including the 555mins deal. It looks like a firmware change
would be needed to remove Sipgate.

Old May 11th 05, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
wooosh

I assume a free-range version of the TA612V is
available from other sources?

http://www.disking.co.uk/product_inf...ts_id=98771621

Old May 11th 05, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
wooosh

A warning to others.

I sent a query to Sipgate support...........

snip
I have just received my NETGEAR TA612V from you.

I am suprised to see it is locked to Sipgate. Can this device be configured
to work with any other Voip provider?

This router is alot cheaper to buy elsewhere and the provider settings can
be altered by the owner.

I do wish to use it for Sipgate but would like to use line2 with another. I
would also be concerned if I decided to move from Sipgate at a later date to
find the router useless.

Please advise.
snip

And the reply was!!!!

Hi Mr. *****,

it is not possible to unlock this device. Its preconfigured to sipgate.

Best regards,

Tobias Nix

Old May 11th 05, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Wed, 11 May 2005, wooosh writes
A warning to others.

I sent a query to Sipgate support...........

snip
I have just received my NETGEAR TA612V from you.

I am suprised to see it is locked to Sipgate. Can this device be configured
to work with any other Voip provider?

This router is alot cheaper to buy elsewhere and the provider settings can
be altered by the owner.

I do wish to use it for Sipgate but would like to use line2 with another. I
would also be concerned if I decided to move from Sipgate at a later date to
find the router useless.

Please advise.
snip

And the reply was!!!!

Hi Mr. *****,

it is not possible to unlock this device. Its preconfigured to sipgate.

Best regards,

Tobias Nix

It's a no goer then.

Best to keep everybody informed of this.

DF
Old May 13th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Linus Surguy

David Floyd wrote:

[...]

I understand that (although its not clear and I havnt tested) that you can
download a unlocked firmware after registering the device at
www.sipgate.co.uk/netgear - anyone actually tested this?

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!
Old May 13th 05, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
wooosh

I understand that (although its not clear and I havnt tested) that you can
download a unlocked firmware after registering the device at
www.sipgate.co.uk/netgear - anyone actually tested this?

Linus

I was thinking of trying it but don't want to create problems for myself.

I am sure Netgear will release firmware for this model which can be used to
wipe Sipgate.

Although looking at the netgear site......... They have no release date for
the adapter yet!!