Improving X-Lite sound quality

Old May 12th 05, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

Default Improving X-Lite sound quality

"Al" wrote in message
My broadband uplink speed is only 64kb. I presume this is the main
reason for the fact that people I call using X-Lite softphone tell me
they have problems hearing me (even though I can hear them crystal
clear). Is it worth my playing with the codecs to try to improve the
situation and is there somewhere that describes the pros and cons of
the various codecs. Is there any other tuning I can do?

Basicly choose ilbc g723 or g729

BUT in the end you need to sort out your connetion speed. G711 uses aprox
80K each way. What type of broadband do you have that is only 64K?

Ian

Old May 12th 05, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Al" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 12 May 2005 11:15:12 +0100, "Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk
wrote:

Basicly choose ilbc g723 or g729

Currently I have both G711a and GSM set. I've no idea how I came to
this since I have no idea what exactly these codecs are used for and
what the criteria is for choosing one. Is there some simple
explanation somewhere for a beginner to make sense of all these
strange sets of characters?

Also, should I set just a SINGLE codec or what? It really would be
helpful if there was some simple information I could refer to to try
to understand these "codecs" and how to use them.

Yes just set GSM

Simple realy

G711 is 64K + overheads = 80K
G729 is 8K + Overheads = 18K
GSM is 13K + Overheads = 21K

THESE are all Approx from memory.

BUT in the end you need to sort out your connetion speed. G711 uses aprox
80K each way. What type of broadband do you have that is only 64K?

ntl 300kb download and 64kb upload, so I'm told. As I think I said at
the start, incoming speech quality is crystal clear and barely
distinguishable from PSTN. I'm often told by the receiving end that my
speech sounds "garbled". Since I can't personally can't hear what I
sound like at the other end, it's hard to interpret exactly what the
recipient is reporting. However, from time to time I've had no
complaints at all from the other end.

Yep sounds right, 80K down a 64K pipe just don't go.
If you want to take advantage of Voip upgrade so you have 80K + 40% extra at
least.

Good luck Ian

Old May 12th 05, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Cable Guy

Al wrote:
|| On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:19:45 +0100, "Ian"
|| spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk wrote:
||| Yes just set GSM
|| So should I only ever set one codec?
||| Simple realy
||| G711 is 64K + overheads = 80K
||| G729 is 8K + Overheads = 18K
||| GSM is 13K + Overheads = 21K
|| Where is this documented?
||| Yep sounds right, 80K down a 64K pipe just don't go.
||| If you want to take advantage of Voip upgrade so you have 80K + 40%
||| extra at least.
|| I prefer not to have a capped service.

I thought you were with NTL? Their service is capped. IIRC, the 300k was
capped at 30Gb a month, as was the 750k & the 1.5Mb. However, the upgraded
1Mb, 2Mb & 3Mb should have 10Gb, 30Gb & 40Gb caps respectively.

Old May 12th 05, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Cable Guy

Al wrote:
|| On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:58:32 GMT, The Cable Guy wrote:
||| I thought you were with NTL? Their service is capped. IIRC, the
||| 300k was capped at 30Gb a month, as was the 750k & the 1.5Mb.
||| However, the upgraded 1Mb, 2Mb & 3Mb should have 10Gb, 30Gb & 40Gb
||| caps respectively.
|| Not according to this, it doesn't:
|| http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadband
|| I don't want to be capped at 3gb month.

I agree - they obviously can't make up their minds. I was selling it for
them in February - 1Mb with 10Gb monthly cap.

Old May 12th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Al" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:19:45 +0100, "Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk
wrote:

Yes just set GSM

So should I only ever set one codec?

Simple realy

G711 is 64K + overheads = 80K
G729 is 8K + Overheads = 18K
GSM is 13K + Overheads = 21K

Where is this documented?

In my head in my case :-) , But just google for voip and codecs. I am sure
there is a vast amount of info out there.

Yep sounds right, 80K down a 64K pipe just don't go.
If you want to take advantage of Voip upgrade so you have 80K + 40% extra

at
least.

I prefer not to have a capped service.

?????
You need at least 128K but pre 256K with 64K it just aint going to work.

Old May 13th 05, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Al" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:06:43 +0100, "Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk
wrote:

?????
You need at least 128K but pre 256K with 64K it just aint going to work.

What does that mean?

Umm I should read what I type before sending.

What I mean is you need at least 128K upload but preferably 256K as with jst
a upload speed of 64K you will not get a decent voip service.
This is because if you call a user who only supports G711 and you only
support GSM your call will fail as you cannot negotiate similar codecs.

So basicly accept the fact that If you are serious about using VoIP you will
have to upgrade to get an acceptable bandwidth.

Ian

Old May 13th 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Linus Surguy

Al wrote:

On Thu, 12 May 2005 23:16:39 +0100, "Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk
wrote:

What I mean is you need at least 128K upload but preferably 256K as with jst
a upload speed of 64K you will not get a decent voip service.
This is because if you call a user who only supports G711 and you only
support GSM your call will fail as you cannot negotiate similar codecs.

I am calling people who use a standard telephone. Neither they nor I
have the faintest idea what "codec" they are using. Surely there must
be a SIMPLE explanation somewhere on what all this "codec" business is
when talking about VoIP? I don't need a full blown technical
explanation - just briefly what it means, why there are so many
versions and how do I use the information in practice.

So basicly accept the fact that If you are serious about using VoIP you will
have to upgrade to get an acceptable bandwidth.

I would like to know about "codec" first. Right now it is just a set
of characters which people around here keep using without explaining
exactly what it means and how to use it.

A 'Codec' is the technique used to encode your voice as a data stream. G.711
codec is basically the same one that is used to encode your voice as digital
data on the PSTN phone network. However, there are others that compress your
voice into less 'space' and therefore need a lower data rate to carry the call,
for example 'GSM' which uses about a quarter of the bandwidth of G.711.

The equipment at both ends of a link needs to support the same codec for the
call to complete.

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!
Old May 14th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:36:42 +0100, Al wrote:

If so, how is it that
a mobile phone can successfully talk to a traditional fixed line phone
if that uses G.711?

I guess it becomes a G.711 signal when it hits the phone system ie the
GSM network or VoIP provider has to take the internally coded stuff
and make it PSTN compatible at the internconnect point (ISDN-30 or the
like)

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old May 15th 05, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Linus Surguy

Al wrote:

On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:20:18 GMT, Linus Surguy wrote:

A 'Codec' is the technique used to encode your voice as a data stream. G.711
codec is basically the same one that is used to encode your voice as digital
data on the PSTN phone network.

So if I'm calling someone who is using a standard wired phone
connected to a traditional BT line should I use G.711? And what
happens if I use another codec?

It doesnt matter what you use, as long as the VoIP provider at the other end
supports it. It is their job to convert from one to another. If you use G.711
a-law and call a PSTN phone in Europe, there will be no conversion. If you use
GSM, or G.729 or other compressed codec, the VoIP provider will convert prior to
transmission to the phone network. One reason to use a compressed codec is when
you need to reduce the bandwidth used for the call.