Improving X-Lite sound quality

Old May 12th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀odincus

Default Improving X-Lite sound quality

On Thu, 12 May 2005 08:27:15 +0100, Al said...
|My broadband uplink speed is only 64kb. I presume this is the main
|reason for the fact that people I call using X-Lite softphone tell me
|they have problems hearing me (even though I can hear them crystal
|clear). Is it worth my playing with the codecs to try to improve the
|situation and is there somewhere that describes the pros and cons of
|the various codecs. Is there any other tuning I can do?

Actually, if your voice is 'garbled' at the other end, maybe not just a
bandwidth issue (since the 80K pushed down the line are the MAXIMUM
PEAK data rate used to deliver your voice, and the average is fair
less) but a lag instead.
Try to ping your VoIP provider STUN proxy, or to traceroute it, and see
if in the route to the provider something is lagging around too much
time.
Report back the result of a "tracert yourproviderSTUNproxy" here,
maybe we can pinpoint something.

HTH

--
▀odincus Ě The Y2K Druid
I'm watching you....
Old May 18th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Corlett

Al wrote:
[...]
It would still be nice if I could find a simple explanation as to
how VoIP hangs together with particular reference to codecs. I know
that in theory the cry could be "google it", but that search
currently produces about a quarter million results. It would be
handy if someone has a recommendation for background reading.

http://www.voip-info.org is mainly Asterisk-based, but there's some
general information there too. Besides, you're going to trip over
Asterisk anyway if you do more than trivial stuff with VoIP so you
might as well read up on it.

The search engine on that stuff is about as useful as a Telewest
teletubby, so you'll find that using Google with "site:voip-info.org"
as one of the query terms is helpful. Try these URLs for a start:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sit...info.org+codec
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Codecs
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Bandwidth+consumption

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger for full key

Please contribute to the beer fund and a tidier house:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1...Z25QQsassZpndc