Newbie question

Old May 13th 05, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephane M

Default Newbie question

Hello,

I am following your conversation and try to understand VoIP... :-)

1) If I use VoIPphone provider and a Cisco ATA 186 for instance...
How can make a call of somebody, using a another VoIP phone ?
a) how to dial a "phone number " ??

2) honestly, calling somebofy using the same AT186, do I really need a VoIP
provider ?
or the provider is only needed when you call from "IP " - Landline or
Mobile ?

3) I have a fix Ip Address with a NAT (Netgear 834) if the other person, has
got a dynamic IP Address ? how does it work ?

4) I am using Skype out at the moment. but my concern with "Skype out" is
that you cannot hear really well the other person...(volume really low )
Can you hear really well??

Thanks for your help

Old May 14th 05, 08:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Linus Surguy

"Stephane M" wrote:

Hello,

I am following your conversation and try to understand VoIP... :-)

1) If I use VoIPphone provider and a Cisco ATA 186 for instance...
How can make a call of somebody, using a another VoIP phone ?
a) how to dial a "phone number " ??

As you would on a PSTN telephone, press the keys and it will work!

2) honestly, calling somebofy using the same AT186, do I really need a VoIP
provider ?
or the provider is only needed when you call from "IP " - Landline or
Mobile ?

No, you don't *need* to have one, you can call direct from IP to IP if you know
the users IP address and you can deal with the various firewall/nat issues.

3) I have a fix Ip Address with a NAT (Netgear 834) if the other person, has
got a dynamic IP Address ? how does it work ?

See answer to (2). Dealing with a VoIP provider to handle your calls will cope
with this.

4) I am using Skype out at the moment. but my concern with "Skype out" is
that you cannot hear really well the other person...(volume really low )
Can you hear really well??

Most VoIP providers that we work with provide call quality indistinguishable
from 'normal' telephone calls.

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!
Old May 14th 05, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephane M

Thank Linus for your reply,

But :
1) Which kind number you dial ?? an Ethernet IP Address ?? (- reason of my
question for people haven't a fix IP address !?!? How to do ??!?
Or is there a possiblilty with all the VoIP provider, to reach a kind of
"address book" like you can do on skype, finding people ??

2) OK, so I don't need any VoIP provider.... Does it mean that I can use an
ATA186 and my analog phone, dialing somebody else having an AT186 and an
Analog phone as well for free ?
and I suppose that I dial his IP Address ??

regards,

Steph

--
Linus Surguy - Magrathea Telecommunications Ltd. Wholesale and retail

telephone
services. www.magrathea-telecom.co.uk www.uknumber.co.uk

www.callthrough.co.uk

Old May 14th 05, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 14 May 2005 12:44:50 +0100, "Stephane M"
wrote:

But :
1) Which kind number you dial ?? an Ethernet IP Address ?? (- reason of my
question for people haven't a fix IP address !?!? How to do ??!?
Or is there a possiblilty with all the VoIP provider, to reach a kind of
"address book" like you can do on skype, finding people ??

IP address. The idea of SIP is to provide an address like an email
address that the SIP server uses to translate into the current IP
address. You can run a SIP server yourself, for example in an Intertex
IX66 router.

Have a look at FWD http://www.pulver.com/fwd/ I have used that with a
soft phone (X-ten) and also with an ATA186.

2) OK, so I don't need any VoIP provider.... Does it mean that I can use an
ATA186 and my analog phone, dialing somebody else having an AT186 and an
Analog phone as well for free ?
and I suppose that I dial his IP Address ??

yes, you can call IP to IP with IP telephones, ATA's or with
softphones. That way you know its free.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !