cheapest simplest voip with a phone?

Old May 16th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Syd Hancock

Default cheapest simplest voip with a phone?

I simply want to be able to make and receive calls using voip
using my current telephone handset, to and from pstn as well as
voip connections - in other words a simple replacement for my
current phone service. Other features are a bonus but not
essential. What is the cheapest and simplest hardware adaptor
that I should get?

I plan to have an account with a SIP-based provider that offers a
UK phone number. Any recommendations very welcome.

Syd
Norwich

Old May 16th 05, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Syd Hancock

Syd Hancock wrote:

I simply want to be able to make and receive calls using voip
using my current telephone handset, to and from pstn as well as
voip connections - in other words a simple replacement for my
current phone service. Other features are a bonus but not
essential. What is the cheapest and simplest hardware adaptor
that I should get?

I plan to have an account with a SIP-based provider that offers
a UK phone number. Any recommendations very welcome.

I should add that I have a router (netgear DG834) already so only
need an adaptor unless there are good reasons to change the
router as well.

Syd
Old May 16th 05, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Syd Hancock" wrote in message
Syd Hancock wrote:

I simply want to be able to make and receive calls using voip
using my current telephone handset, to and from pstn as well as
voip connections - in other words a simple replacement for my
current phone service. Other features are a bonus but not
essential. What is the cheapest and simplest hardware adaptor
that I should get?

I plan to have an account with a SIP-based provider that offers
a UK phone number. Any recommendations very welcome.

I should add that I have a router (netgear DG834) already so only
need an adaptor unless there are good reasons to change the
router as well.

Syd

Sipgate (www.sipgate.co.uk) offer free geographic phone numbers, all calls
to other SIP users on several networks are free also, you only pay for
calls to the PSTN.

The system has had more than its fair share of problems recently, so you
may well find others warning you off them, but IMHO for a totally free
service it's very good and the call quality is excellent. There is a free
voicemail service also, this however is having the irritating problem of
lapsing into German every so often, but on the plus side I'm learning a
new language (well at least as far as knowing if I have a new message or
not g)

The adaptor I use is the Sipura SPA-2000 (www.sipura.com) but there are
others from the same and different manufacturers that all have their plus
and minus points. I'm very happy with my Sipura and would recommend it to
anyone, I wouldn't recommend the Grandstream products though.

If you need any more info, ask.

Ivor

Old May 16th 05, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:10:33 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

I'm very happy with my Sipura and would recommend it to
anyone, I wouldn't recommend the Grandstream products though.

If you need any more info, ask.

can you expand on the Grandstream non-recommendation ?

Phil
Old May 16th 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote:

I'm very happy with my Sipura and would recommend it to
anyone, I wouldn't recommend the Grandstream products though.

If you need any more info, ask.

can you expand on the Grandstream non-recommendation ?

Phil

Firmware can be somewhat flaky and build quality isn't the best. The
Sipura range excels on build and the latest firmware on my SPA-2000 hasn't
got any bugs that I've found so far, and I'm the world expert at finding
things wrong with systems g

Ivor

Old May 17th 05, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Phil Thompson wrote:

can you expand on the Grandstream non-recommendation ?

I started off with the Grandstream ATA-486. I used it in router
configuration and it worked "OK". I didn't have the lock-up/crash
problems that some people have reported, but the browser interface would
go to sleep after a day or so and could only be restarted by rebooting
the ATA (didn't seem to affect calls though...).

I now use a Sipura 1001 (perfect for what I need but YMMV) running in
client config (it can't be used as a router) and once I got over the
shock of how many pages of options there were I'm more than happy with
it. And it doesn't need a regular reboot to keep it going. :-)

Old May 17th 05, 02:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

You ask for the cheapest, that, AFAIK Linksys PAP2 ATA.
Anyone has tried it ?
Zyxel has some too, haven't found a vendor yet.
Regards,
Martin

Old May 18th 05, 06:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Syd Hancock

Many thanks for the replies. Looks like Sipura is the way to go -
can't stand flaky hardware. life's too short.

Am I right in thinking that the only differenee between the 1001
and the 2000 is that the latter has two phone sockets?

Anyone any experience of using Gradwell? Any other
recommendations?

Thanks
Syd
Old May 18th 05, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Syd Hancock wrote:

Am I right in thinking that the only differenee between the 1001
and the 2000 is that the latter has two phone sockets?

Sort of. The 1001 copes with two incoming lines, but both use the same
phone. The 2000 copes with two incoming lines, but each line has its
own phone socket - it isn't able to route both lines to one socket.

Anyone any experience of using Gradwell? Any other
recommendations?

Gradwell's set-up is aimed primarily at business users, with lots of
features for extentions etc, but it is reliable. For an individual user
it costs £4/month +VAT (after the 3 month free trial), with no inclusive
minutes, which is a bit pricy compared to some of the others (Sipgate =
free, JustDialVoip = £1.99). On the plus side, it works and, unlike
some of the other VoIP providers around at the moment, I expect them to
stick around for a while...

Old May 25th 05, 04:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Marc H.Popek

The device you seek is right here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=1&sspage nam
e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

excerpt from web site..

COMBINE-A-LINE .. Imagine..1=2

Ever wish you could use your favorite single-line telephone, answering
machine, caller ID or PC Modem on TWO phone lines?.. Automatically?

OR

How about joining your VOIP port and the plain old (PSTN) telephone jack
into a single handset?

OR

USE a CLT to join a card card acceptor and your single line telephone as
well!

OR

see if anybody picks-up, on anotheer line trunk, after you are already in a
telco call???

THEN...........................................

Combine-A-Line (CLT) allows two separate calls from two different lines to
be directed to your single line telephone equipment or PC. Centralizing and
PROTECTING (SURGE PROTECTION INSIDE) your communication equipment for your
home office or for the family.

Combine-A-Line supports all services from your telephone company including
Caller ID. It also has two line surge protectors to make sure that you are
Protecting your equipment.

Use combine-aline to automatically switch between VOIP and pots (rboc) plain
local line, hands free!.

SECURITY of your calls are enhanced because the CLT displays if anybody
picks -up the line after you are in a call! So, it has security features
just in case someone is wire tapping or listens in after you are in a call.
The LED display will indicate any disruption to the line.

Easy to use, No batteries or power supply, and no programming needed! Our
re-sellers have reported that ..."elimination of the noisy and cumbersome
power supply wires, reduces the Hum & Noise one hears then when connected
to household power supplies"

Automate and organize your telecommunications equipment and desktop wires
with Combine-A-Line.

USE BUY NOW and get FREE SHIPPING OPTION

"Tim Morley" tim.morley*REMOVE wrote in message
. uk...
Does anybody do a voip adaptor that has a standard phoneline connection

that
will:

1) take incoming call via phone
2) make outgoing calls via 1899
3) drop onto outgoing on 1899 if voip down
4) make 999 calls via land line?

TIA

Get a free IPod Mini
http://www.freeipoduk.co.uk/index.php?REFID=78563

Get paid for consumer surveys with SAROS
http://www.sarosresearch.com/sarosfo...s.asp?id=51011