Sipgate - change number.

Old May 17th 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Sipgate - change number.

Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php

All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.

--
amos
Old May 17th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php

All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.

That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based
Old May 17th 05, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"David Floyd" wrote in message
In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php

All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.

That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

Correct, you can only obtain geographic numbers from a UK IP address.

Note that if you change your Sipgate PSTN number, your 7 digit SIP number
will *not* change and therefore your SIP number (dialled by another
Sipgate user) and PSTN number will bear no relation to one another, which
might get confusing..!

Ivor

Old May 17th 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:44:26 +0100, David Floyd
wrote:

In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php

All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.

That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

Well unless BTBB (not yahoo) have done a flit I reckon the problem may
lay elsewhere. Did you try to change your number and see what you
were offered?

--
amos
Old May 17th 05, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:52:38 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"David Floyd" wrote in message
In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php

All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.

That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

Correct, you can only obtain geographic numbers from a UK IP address.

Note that if you change your Sipgate PSTN number, your 7 digit SIP number
will *not* change and therefore your SIP number (dialled by another
Sipgate user) and PSTN number will bear no relation to one another, which
might get confusing..!

BTBB is not UK based? I give up.I got my original UK geo number
using BTBB as my ISP.

--
amos
Old May 17th 05, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

wrote:

In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php

All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.

That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

Hi David
I got my JD details today not tried any phone calls but the voicemail
is nothing short of perfect and what do you know it is all in perfect
English !!not that I am hinting at any other voip providers voicemail
service of course !! .

Just had by first bill too!

It's pro-rata 3/5/05 to 10/5/05 = 60p to be taken DD on 3/6/05

I thought they might take a month in advance as well - but no.

All OK so far.

David
Old May 17th 05, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote:

"David Floyd" wrote in message
In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php

All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.

That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

Correct, you can only obtain geographic numbers from a UK IP address.

Note that if you change your Sipgate PSTN number, your 7 digit SIP number
will *not* change and therefore your SIP number (dialled by another
Sipgate user) and PSTN number will bear no relation to one another, which
might get confusing..!

BTBB is not UK based? I give up.I got my original UK geo number
using BTBB as my ISP.

You never mentioned BTBB, you said Sipgate. Or am I misreading
something..?

Ivor

Old May 17th 05, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote:

In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php

All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.

That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

Well unless BTBB (not yahoo) have done a flit I reckon the problem may
lay elsewhere. Did you try to change your number and see what you
were offered?

What has BTBB got to do with a Sipgate number..?

Ivor

Old May 17th 05, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:19:56 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

My ISP is BTBB and I cannot see, and that is probably me, what the
confusion is between Sipgate, who issued me with a geo number and BT
who is my ISP.

To recap. I have a number 0114 xxx xxxx issued by sipgate. I want to
change it. The facility on sipgate web site is available to do this.
My IP lies in the 86.128.x.x to 86.135.255.255 range, assigned to BT
GB. I am in the UK. The change number option in the 'my account' page
on https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php
only offers me the German, 0845 or 0870 numbers.

I have since tried to register as a new user. All I get offered is
the same German 0870 or 0845 numbers.

That is why I asked if anyone else had tried. Sipgate say there is no
problem. I am of the opinion they do have a problem. The problem now
appears to be that they are incorrectly referencing IPs to the wrong
country.

It would be helpful if you could try to change your sipgate geo number
and let me know what numbers you are offered (you don't have to take
the offered number(s)). I will persue sipgate over the problem, but
whilst there is only me complaining they seem reluctant to do
anything. I guess they can't simulate the problem if it is dependant
on IP address.

--
amos
Old May 17th 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:20:53 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, writes
Has anyone tried and been successful in changing current UK geographic
number to a new number using the option on the 'my account' page
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/my_account.php

All I get offered is a new German number or an 0870 or an 0845 number.

That's probably because you are now using an ISP that is not UK based

Well unless BTBB (not yahoo) have done a flit I reckon the problem may
lay elsewhere. Did you try to change your number and see what you
were offered?

What has BTBB got to do with a Sipgate number..?

Nothing at all. I was replying David Floyds suggestion that the
problem was probably due to using a non UK based ISP.

--
amos