Sipgate service disruptions

Old May 17th 05, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀odincus

Default Sipgate service disruptions

I've had a quick e-mail chat with a very helpy bloke at Sipgate, and
I've had a sort of admission that the latest service disruptions (no
landline calls incoming) were not due to their fault, but to an
"attack" to their PSTN gateway.
Me thinks they are giving some headaches to the Big Telecom company...
and someone there is playing dirty.
What do you think?

--
▀odincus Ě The Y2K Druid
I'm watching you....
Old May 17th 05, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
On Tue, 17 May 2005 15:49:36 GMT, ▀odincus
wrote:

I've had a quick e-mail chat with a very helpy bloke at Sipgate, and
I've had a sort of admission that the latest service disruptions (no
landline calls incoming) were not due to their fault, but to an
"attack" to their PSTN gateway.
Me thinks they are giving some headaches to the Big Telecom company...
and someone there is playing dirty.
What do you think?

If the big telecom company you are referring to is BT then I fully
agree with you have said this for weeks now.

As I have also said repeatedly, what incentive is there for BT to disrupt
calls *from* them to Sipgate..? It's a source of revenue after all.

I just can't see how a major player like BT would hope to get away with
something like that, if it *was* them they would be bound to be found out
eventually and then large quantities of brown smelly stuff would hit
several very large fans. People have been sued for this sort of thing
already in the US.

Ivor

Old May 17th 05, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀odincus

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:18:08 +0100, Ivor Jones said...

wrote in message
.. .
| On Tue, 17 May 2005 15:49:36 GMT, ▀odincus
| wrote:
|

|I've had a quick e-mail chat with a very helpy bloke at Sipgate, and
|I've had a sort of admission that the latest service disruptions (no
|landline calls incoming) were not due to their fault, but to an
|"attack" to their PSTN gateway.
|Me thinks they are giving some headaches to the Big Telecom company...
|and someone there is playing dirty.
|What do you think?
| If the big telecom company you are referring to is BT then I fully
| agree with you have said this for weeks now.
|
|As I have also said repeatedly, what incentive is there for BT to disrupt
|calls *from* them to Sipgate..? It's a source of revenue after all.
Too little revenues compared to the losses they suffer every time we
use Sipgate to call.

|I just can't see how a major player like BT would hope to get away with
|something like that, if it *was* them they would be bound to be found out
|eventually and then large quantities of brown smelly stuff would hit
|several very large fans. People have been sued for this sort of thing
|already in the US.
|
|Ivor

BT = "B"ig "T"elecom company worldwide spread;
Sipgate = "S"mall "I"ndependent "p"eople's "gate" to cheap calls.

Who do you think it's gonna win in a court? :-((((

--
▀odincus Ě The Y2K Druid
I'm watching you....
Old May 17th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"▀odincus" wrote in message
er.co.uk...
On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:18:08 +0100, Ivor Jones said...

[snip]

|I just can't see how a major player like BT would hope to get away with
|something like that, if it *was* them they would be bound to be found out
|eventually and then large quantities of brown smelly stuff would hit
|several very large fans. People have been sued for this sort of thing
|already in the US.
|
|Ivor

BT = "B"ig "T"elecom company worldwide spread;
Sipgate = "S"mall "I"ndependent "p"eople's "gate" to cheap calls.

Who do you think it's gonna win in a court? :-((((

I don't understand that sentence. But I think you meant who would win in
court. Whoever is not committing an offence.

Ivor

Old May 17th 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, Ivor Jones writes

"▀odincus" wrote in message
der.co.uk...
On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:18:08 +0100, Ivor Jones said...

[snip]

|I just can't see how a major player like BT would hope to get away with
|something like that, if it *was* them they would be bound to be found out
|eventually and then large quantities of brown smelly stuff would hit
|several very large fans. People have been sued for this sort of thing
|already in the US.
|
|Ivor

BT = "B"ig "T"elecom company worldwide spread;
Sipgate = "S"mall "I"ndependent "p"eople's "gate" to cheap calls.

Who do you think it's gonna win in a court? :-((((

I don't understand that sentence. But I think you meant who would win in
court. Whoever is not committing an offence.

Ivor

Ivor

Something's gone wrong with your replies recently (last hour or two).
Your reply is included with the test of the person your replying to.
I.e. the person you're replying to is not being quoted properly with a
'' (or something). Therefore it's difficult to read what you're saying
or what the other person said.

David
Old May 17th 05, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
wooosh

BT = "B"ig "T"elecom company worldwide spread;
Sipgate = "S"mall "I"ndependent "p"eople's "gate" to cheap calls.

Who do you think it's gonna win in a court? :-((((

I don't understand that sentence. But I think you meant who would win in
court. Whoever is not committing an offence.

Ivor

Whoever has the best legal funding and dedicated legal teams!

Old May 17th 05, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"▀odincus" wrote in message
er.co.uk...

I've had a quick e-mail chat with a very helpy bloke at Sipgate, and
I've had a sort of admission that the latest service disruptions (no
landline calls incoming) were not due to their fault, but to an
"attack" to their PSTN gateway.
Me thinks they are giving some headaches to the Big Telecom company...
and someone there is playing dirty.
What do you think?

At the moment they wouldnt be causing even the smallest of headaches to any
PTO.
And wont be in the future either. Their call volume is tiny compared to
almost all other alternative carriers. And why havent the larger Voip
suppliers had any problems?
Now some spotty oik doing a DOS on their servers maybe.

So what do I think ?

You have a vivid imagination and vastly overestimate the importance of a V
small supplier with an unreliable service.

Ian

Old May 17th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh David Floyd:
In message of Tue, 17 May 2005, Ivor Jones writes

"▀odincus" wrote in message
er.co.uk...
[...]

I think it has something to do with the post by ▀odincus, they have changed
their quote symbol. Though Quotefix puts this right for me.

Old May 17th 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
▀odincus

On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:36:00 +0100, "Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk
said...

|"▀odincus" wrote in message
der.co.uk...

|I've had a quick e-mail chat with a very helpy bloke at Sipgate, and
|I've had a sort of admission that the latest service disruptions (no
|landline calls incoming) were not due to their fault, but to an
|"attack" to their PSTN gateway.
|Me thinks they are giving some headaches to the Big Telecom company...
|and someone there is playing dirty.
|What do you think?
|
|At the moment they wouldnt be causing even the smallest of headaches to any
|PTO.
|And wont be in the future either. Their call volume is tiny compared to
|almost all other alternative carriers. And why havent the larger Voip
|suppliers had any problems?
|Now some spotty oik doing a DOS on their servers maybe.
|
|So what do I think ?
|
|You have a vivid imagination and vastly overestimate the importance of a V
|small supplier with an unreliable service.
|
|Ian

It's not fair to talk in this way about a competitor, dear... :-) No
sorry, :-((((

--
▀odincus Ě The Y2K Druid
I'm watching you....