Cheap Reliable VOIP provider Needed

Old May 21st 05, 06:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil

Default Cheap Reliable VOIP provider Needed

I am looking at using VOIP. I need a reliable company so I guess from what
I've read that rules out Sipgate, I also need a Georaphical number 01723
(scarborough) if possible. All my calls will be to national landline numbers
so aren't bothered about rates to mobile's, international or 0870/0845. I
already have a 4 port router and would like a cordless VOIP phone if
possible. Any recommendations?

Old May 21st 05, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Sat, 21 May 2005, Phil writes

I am looking at using VOIP. I need a reliable company so I guess from what
I've read that rules out Sipgate, I also need a Georaphical number 01723
(scarborough) if possible. All my calls will be to national landline numbers
so aren't bothered about rates to mobile's, international or 0870/0845. I
already have a 4 port router and would like a cordless VOIP phone if
possible. Any recommendations?

Take a look at:
JustDialVoIP 1.99 pm to include English Voicemail and free UK evening
and w/end, and a geographical number of your choice of area.
OR
Sipgate UK which is free for the service and a crap voicemail which is
for ever at Beta stage, no inclusive minutes, but cheap, choice of
geographical area number
OR
VoIPtalk - Make your own enquiries as I don't know much about them.

David
Old May 21st 05, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
duck

David Floyd wrote:
[...]

Just had a look at that, the area codes on offer by JustDialVoIP are
quite limited.
Old May 21st 05, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

David Floyd wrote:
In message of Sat, 21 May 2005, Phil writes

I am looking at using VOIP. I need a reliable company so I guess
from what I've read that rules out Sipgate, I also need a
Georaphical number 01723 (scarborough) if possible. All my calls
will be to national landline numbers so aren't bothered about
rates to mobile's, international or 0870/0845. I already have a 4
port router and would like a cordless VOIP phone if possible. Any
recommendations?

Sipgate's reliability is improving, the recent outages have been down to
PSTN gateway problems I believe rather than internal to the system.

Take a look at:
JustDialVoIP 1.99 pm to include English Voicemail and free UK
evening and w/end, and a geographical number of your choice of area.
OR
Sipgate UK which is free for the service and a crap voicemail which
is for ever at Beta stage, no inclusive minutes, but cheap, choice
of geographical area number

Sipgate does have a 1000 inclusive minutes for 5.99/month option, but
unless you're going to use that amount of time it's not worth it.

Voicemail is being worked on at the moment and will hopefully soon be
migrated to a dedicated server (it shares with the German system at the
moment) which should improve things.

Regarding phones, get a Sipura SPA-2000 ATA, this has two phone line
ports, you can then plug whatever phone (wired or DECT) that you like in.
Or if you want to be able to plug in to a normal BT line as well, the
SPA-3000 will do the job.

Ivor

Old May 21st 05, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Sat, 21 May 2005, Ivor Jones writes

Sipgate's reliability is improving, the recent outages have been down to
PSTN gateway problems I believe rather than internal to the system.

To be honest, Ivor, you've been saying that for months and it's wearing
a bit thin now.

Voicemail is being worked on at the moment and will hopefully soon be
migrated to a dedicated server (it shares with the German system at the
moment) which should improve things.

Similarly it's been over 2 months that it's been 'being worked on' -
with no improvement. :-(

Regarding phones, get a Sipura SPA-2000 ATA, this has two phone line
ports, you can then plug whatever phone (wired or DECT) that you like in.
Or if you want to be able to plug in to a normal BT line as well, the
SPA-3000 will do the job.

Can't fault you with those recommendations.

David
Old May 21st 05, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
keymaster

wrote in message
news
On Sat, 21 May 2005 06:55:06 +0100, "Phil"
wrote:

I am looking at using VOIP. I need a reliable company so I guess from what
I've read that rules out Sipgate,

A more true sentance was never written .
I also need a Georaphical number 01723
(scarborough) if possible.

Viopfone could be your answer .

Hi
personally I tried sipgate and never had any success despite me having a
Snom 190 phone.
I use www.voipfone.co.uk and apaprt from an outrage about January been
faultless for me
cheers
Roy

Old May 21st 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PeterW

"Ivor Jones" wrote in
:

David Floyd wrote:
[...]

The Sipura SPA-1001 ATA is also a nice little unit. It has two VoIP SIP
accounts but only one phone port using the "Se" software from Sipura. You
can set a prefix to dial out on the second line. Incoming calls on either
line ring the phone (with call waiting). It should be cheaper than the 2000
on eBay. Mine was about 45.

Peter
Old May 21st 05, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell

wrote:

I am looking at using VOIP. I need a reliable company so I guess from what
I've read that rules out Sipgate, I also need a Georaphical number 01723
(scarborough) if possible. All my calls will be to national landline numbers
so aren't bothered about rates to mobile's, international or 0870/0845. I
already have a 4 port router and would like a cordless VOIP phone if
possible. Any recommendations?

We offer a sipphone like service, but with more functionality,
customer service and reliability: www.gradwell.com/voip

We have a 3 month free trial on our single line service:

cheers
peter

Old May 21st 05, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

David Floyd wrote:
In message of Sat, 21 May 2005, Ivor Jones writes

Sipgate's reliability is improving, the recent outages have been
down to PSTN gateway problems I believe rather than internal to
the system.

To be honest, Ivor, you've been saying that for months and it's
wearing a bit thin now.

To a certain extent you're right, but the recent problems *have* been due
to PSTN gateway issues; inter-Sipgate calls have been fine, at least they
have here.

Voicemail is being worked on at the moment and will hopefully soon
be migrated to a dedicated server (it shares with the German
system at the moment) which should improve things.

Similarly it's been over 2 months that it's been 'being worked on' -
with no improvement. :-(

The problem was it got activated before it was intended, and once the
genie was out of the bottle that was it, and it wasn't possible to just
switch it off again. I know that the engineers didn't want to activate it
when it was first switched on, but once it was.....

Ivor

Old May 21st 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

PeterW wrote:

The Sipura SPA-1001 ATA is also a nice little unit. It has two VoIP SIP
accounts but only one phone port using the "Se" software from Sipura. You
can set a prefix to dial out on the second line. Incoming calls on either
line ring the phone (with call waiting). It should be cheaper than the 2000
on eBay. Mine was about 45.

Despite it only having one phone port you can configure the two SIP
accounts to give different rings (if your phone supports different
cadences) so you know which number is being dialled (handy if you want
private and business calls (or his and her calls) directed to the same
phone.