Best Quality Codec For IAX2

Old May 22nd 05, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil

Default Best Quality Codec For IAX2

I am using iaxComm with 18866 VOIP and have everything working fine. What
codec should I use for the best quality, I sound like I've got my head in a
bucket at the moment (lots of echo)
My oprions a iLBC, Speex, GSM, a-law, u-law. There is also a sppex tuning
facility that I don't really understand where you can change quality, bit
rate. avergae bit rate, and complexity. Thanks in advance.

Old May 22nd 05, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Phil" wrote in message
I am using iaxComm with 18866 VOIP and have everything working fine. What
codec should I use for the best quality, I sound like I've got my head in

bucket at the moment (lots of echo)
My oprions a iLBC, Speex, GSM, a-law, u-law. There is also a sppex

tuning
facility that I don't really understand where you can change quality, bit
rate. avergae bit rate, and complexity. Thanks in advance.

For quality you need to use G711a or for that matter G711u but this will use
80K of bandwidth. Other wise use iLBC, As to echo what are you using for a
handset?

Ian

Old May 23rd 05, 02:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil

Thanks for the info. I have cured the echo the iaxComm was set up to use my
web cam's mic instead of my headset now I have changed the settings it work
fine.