Technical questions

Old May 24th 05, 02:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

Default Technical questions

If there is a web site that can answer the following questions or an FAQ
could you please point me in the right direction.

Simply (!) is there a technical explanation of the Skype system anywhere,
specifically detaiils of the codec used etc.
The signalling system etc.

By the way, why on earth isn't the + sign already in the telephone number
entry place?
Having to use the keyboard to find a + before every call is dam annoying!

--
Rob.

Old May 24th 05, 03:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Rob" wrote in message
If there is a web site that can answer the following questions or an FAQ
could you please point me in the right direction.

Simply (!) is there a technical explanation of the Skype system
anywhere, specifically detaiils of the codec used etc.
The signalling system etc.

Skype uses a proprietorial protocol, incompatible with anything else..! I
have no idea of the details.

By the way, why on earth isn't the + sign already in the telephone
number entry place?
Having to use the keyboard to find a + before every call is dam
annoying!

Another reason I don't use it g

Ivor

Old May 24th 05, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Rob" wrote in message
If there is a web site that can answer the following questions or an FAQ
could you please point me in the right direction.

Simply (!) is there a technical explanation of the Skype system anywhere,
specifically detaiils of the codec used etc.
The signalling system etc.

By the way, why on earth isn't the + sign already in the telephone number
entry place?
Having to use the keyboard to find a + before every call is dam annoying!

--
Rob.

Hi

Start here http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....bounty%20skype

then the info you want is at http://arxiv.org/ftp/cs/papers/0412/0412017.pdf

As to the + question , any chance of putting it in some context ie what

Old May 24th 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

By the way, why on earth isn't the + sign already in the telephone number
entry place?
Having to use the keyboard to find a + before every call is dam annoying!

Just type 00 in stead of +
That's how you would dial form any normal phone also, isn't ??

Philippe (Belgium)

Old May 25th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul D.Smith

Not in the UK. The UK international prefix is 01 thus "01 1" for the US
etc. Which national variant does Skype use?

Paul DS.

Old May 25th 05, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Wed, 25 May 2005, Paul D.Smith writes
Not in the UK. The UK international prefix is 01 thus "01 1" for the US
etc. Which national variant does Skype use?

Can you please quote the part of the previous post you're replying to so
that we can understand what you're talking about, please.

The UK international prefix is 00 as it is in most of Europe. Some
countries are 010 and some (like the USA) use 011

DF
Old May 25th 05, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
t...
Not in the UK. The UK international prefix is 01 thus "01 1" for the US
etc. Which national variant does Skype use?

The UK prefix for international calls is 00 and has been for many years.
so the US is 00 1 and in the UK is 00 44 1234 123456, The + symbol is
dialing is used so you dont need to know the prefix and is mainly used in
mobiles so roaming is easier.
Ian

Old May 25th 05, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Linus Surguy

"Paul D.Smith" wrote:

Not in the UK. The UK international prefix is 01 thus "01 1" for the US
etc. Which national variant does Skype use?

Errrm, what!? Many many years ago it used to be 010, but its been 00 for a very
long time now....

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!
Old May 25th 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul D.Smith

Bother. Go my UK and my US mixed up again. To answer your question, 00
replaces "+" was the bit I was responding to but I got myself confused with
the US access code.

Sorry,
Paul DS.

Old May 25th 05, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

The UK international prefix is 00 as it is in most of Europe. Some
countries are 010 and some (like the USA) use 011

DF

Israel abandoned 00 in favour of 012, 013 & 014 each of which will route
your call via a competing operator.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%