Help with grandstream 486 qos settings

Old May 24th 05, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
al

Default Help with grandstream 486 qos settings

*(Apologies if you have seen this before- I reposted it as the news
server I was using didn't seem to post it anywhere else except itself,
so I am now posting with google ion hope that it'll reach the masses!)*

Hi,

I was hoping that there would be someone to recommend to me how to set
up my
ATA486 so it gives me a good level of quality of service.

I got the ATA about a month ago from sipgate, and upstream on our ntl
connection is fairly poor. I share the connection (128k upload) with
other
people via a router (who unfortunately happen to like downloading)
which is
why I got an ATA with QoS. If I put the ATA inbetween the cable modem
and
router, people struggle to hear me if anyone is downloading (I should
say
p2p'ing, as this uses upload also which is the problem). I emailed
grandstream, they said to upgrade the firmware (now running 1.0.6.3)
and put
it as a client running off the router, and I still have the same
problem.

How can I set up my ATA so that it slows traffic going through it down
to a
rate where it makes sure it can sustain its own bandwidth for upload?
There
really does seem no difference between using the ATA as a client from
the
router (no QoS) to putting the ATA before the router (using QoS). It is
always my upstrem voice that suffers and people complain about. I have
tried
setting the codec to .729 as from what I've read its the lowest
bandwidth
one but it still does not work. It all works perfectly when there is no
other network traffic.

TIA,
Al