Home to office setup

Old May 27th 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bryan

Default Home to office setup

Hi all.

This area is totally new to me so will be very grateful for any and all
assistance. If there is an FAQ that answers this stuff, please let me
know.

I want to set up an IP phone at home to act as an extension to the
office, which is running an Asterisk pbx box. (Not set up by me!)

At home I have...
XP professional
BTinternet 1MB broadband
Voyager 205 router - this has both an USB (connected to my PC) and
Ethernet port (not used)
A Grandsteam BudgeTone 100 IP phone.

I already have a VPN connection to my office LAN and use VNC to get a
virtual desktop of my office machine.

What I need to know is the best starting point. As the phone can
physically be plugged into the router, that is the obvious thing to do.
Then I guess I will need to just open a few ports and bobs my uncle!

But I'm worried because the VPN is 'on the PC', and so the phone
will know nothing about it.

The alternative would be to get a NIC and connect the PC to the router
via the Ethernet. Then add a switch (or router?) and plug the phone in
there.

Which is the best approach? Has anybody done this? Or, and I think
this most likely, I'm missing a very big piece of the jigsaw puzzle,
and should doing something completely different.

Many thanks.

Old May 27th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Millington

On 27 May 2005 08:45:59 -0700, "Bryan" wrote:

I want to set up an IP phone at home to act as an extension to the
office, which is running an Asterisk pbx box. (Not set up by me!)

[snip]

Based on your description, there are two obvious ways:

1) Cheap: Add an ethernet NIC to the PC, install ICS and plug the
phone into the PC with a crossover cable - with suitable firewall
settings.

2) Better but expensive: Replace the router with one that has built in
VPN [1] like the Draytek range, add a NIC to the PC and plug both PC &
Phone into the router's switch.

[1] I have found PC based VPN a royal pain.

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -
Old May 28th 05, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bryan

Many thanks for this.

Just to make clear - my setup 1 (phone directly plugged into router) is
a none starter then?

Bryan

Old May 28th 05, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Bryan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Many thanks for this.

Just to make clear - my setup 1 (phone directly plugged into router) is
a none starter then?

Bryan

Depends . Can you see the * box from the internet ? or only over the VPN ?

Also does the router support your company VPN ?

If you can see it via the internet or the router supports the VPN then yes
you could plug the phone into the Router. Best ask the person who put the *
in as they will know the setup.

Ian

Old May 29th 05, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Millington

On 28 May 2005 09:14:35 -0700, "Bryan" wrote:

Just to make clear - my setup 1 (phone directly plugged into router) is
a none starter then?

The spec sheet for your router states that it only supports VPN
pass-through, rather than having a built-in VPN server. So, as Ian
says, unless the * box is visible over the Internet without VPN, yes
:-(