Vonage, anyone?

Old May 29th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JGN

Default Vonage, anyone?

Hi there,

am looking at Vonage as a a potential VoIP solution and am wondering what
experiences others might have. I would happily consider alternatives, but a
physical phone number is a prerequisite.

Any thoughts, observations and tips, will be greatly received.

best regards,

John

Old May 29th 05, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JGN

Another question - both Staples, whom Vonage are going to be using for a
retail push in UK - and a news item that I have just found, mention the use
of a LinkSys router, which on the one hand is being touted as a cost of
"approx £25" The Vonage website itself, speaks simply, of a "telephone
adapter." I use a Netgear DG384G wireless modem/ router which is superb and
looks after a 1Mb/Sec connection through Surfanytime.net. Can anybody tell
me conclusively that my existing equipment will work seamlessly?

thanks in aticipation,

John

Old May 29th 05, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mathew Curtis

JGN wrote:
Hi there,

am looking at Vonage as a a potential VoIP solution and am wondering what
experiences others might have. I would happily consider alternatives, but a
physical phone number is a prerequisite.

Any thoughts, observations and tips, will be greatly received.

best regards,

John

well the fact that you pay to get in and pay to get out put me off from
going with vonage I also did not like the fact that the linksys adaptor
they supply is locked so you loose the flexibility of being able to use
different voip companies

Mat

Old May 29th 05, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Daniel

"Mathew Curtis" wrote in message
oups.com...

well the fact that you pay to get in and pay to get out put me off from
going with vonage I also did not like the fact that the linksys adaptor
they supply is locked so you loose the flexibility of being able to use
different voip companies

Can't the firmware just be replaced, in order to 'unlock' the unit ?

Daniel

Old May 29th 05, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mathew Curtis

Daniel wrote:
"Mathew Curtis" wrote in message
oups.com...

well the fact that you pay to get in and pay to get out put me off from
going with vonage I also did not like the fact that the linksys adaptor
they supply is locked so you loose the flexibility of being able to use
different voip companies

Can't the firmware just be replaced, in order to 'unlock' the unit ?

Daniel

You you can reset it and upgrade the firmware but it goes against the
"terms of service" you are supposed to get writen permission from them
first

Mat

Old May 30th 05, 02:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Apart from setup, exit charges and cost of the Linksys, they will charge you
£9.99 p.m. which includes all your 01 / 02 calls.
But you can get that from OneTel on your normal line for £10.99, so why
bother ?

If you want a second / VoIP line, get a free setup and any area UK
geographical number from Sipgate.co.uk, then you just pay 1.19p / min for
calls to UK numbers and pretty good rates to foreign lands too.
When you get tired of using a softphone, just buy and ATA and plug it in
your router,
Sipura is best, but even the Linksys is available at ~£35 from independent
suppliers.
Regards,
Martin

Old May 30th 05, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mathew Curtis

Martin² wrote:
Apart from setup, exit charges and cost of the Linksys, they will charge you
£9.99 p.m. which includes all your 01 / 02 calls.
But you can get that from OneTel on your normal line for £10.99, so why
bother ?

If you want a second / VoIP line, get a free setup and any area UK
geographical number from Sipgate.co.uk, then you just pay 1.19p / min for
calls to UK numbers and pretty good rates to foreign lands too.
When you get tired of using a softphone, just buy and ATA and plug it in
your router,
Sipura is best, but even the Linksys is available at ~£35 from independent
suppliers.
Regards,
Martin

I use www.voipfone.co.uk calls are 1.1p per min at all times although
according to there web site all these prices are being reduced on the
01/06/2005 http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Package_Builder.php

Mat

Old May 30th 05, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Martin" wrote:

Apart from setup, exit charges and cost of the Linksys, they will charge you
£9.99 p.m. which includes all your 01 / 02 calls.
But you can get that from OneTel on your normal line for £10.99, so why
bother ?

One.Tel are the people behind JustDialVoip which will give you free
calls (of up to 75 mins each) to UK landlines 24/7 for £6.98/month[1]
if you supply your own adapter.

[1] £1.99 "line rental" + £4.99 for the "Max" package[2].
[2] The £1.99 "line rental" only "Lite" package gives you free off-peak
UK landline calls (up to 75 mins each).

Old May 31st 05, 01:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Dave Gill:
One.Tel are the people behind JustDialVoip

OMG, you are right ! They are competing with themselves !
Both owned by Centrica.
Regards,
Martin