looking for VOIP for small office

Old May 31st 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Neil Jarman

Default looking for VOIP for small office

Hi,

I'm an IT officer and we're looking to replace our ageing 5 line system with
something moe modern.

Ideally, can anyone recommend a system that I can install and maintain
myself, rather than getting in an external company?

We have 5 external lines, which is probably enough, but need to upgrade from
10 to 20 internal extensions.

Cheers,

NEIL

Old May 31st 05, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Neil Jarman" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm an IT officer and we're looking to replace our ageing 5 line system

with
something moe modern.

Ideally, can anyone recommend a system that I can install and maintain
myself, rather than getting in an external company?

We have 5 external lines, which is probably enough, but need to upgrade

from
10 to 20 internal extensions.

Hi

Wait a few weeks and the new Mitel 3300 CXI will be avalible and will do all
you want. see www.mitel.com not sure if the CXI is on it yet though.

Ian

Old May 31st 05, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Neil Jarman

Hi Ian,

No, the CXI is not on the web site.

As a complete telecoms novice, will I be able to configure it myself? Our
system is SO old, I dread to think what a mess I might get into.

Thanks for the pointer, however.

I found a Quadro 16xa which looks promising too - do you have any comments?

NEIL

Old May 31st 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
lurch

On Tue, 31 May 2005 15:21:02 +0100, "Neil Jarman"
strung together this:

I'm an IT officer and we're looking to replace our ageing 5 line system with
something moe modern.

Why? What additional features do you need from it?

Ideally, can anyone recommend a system that I can install and maintain
myself, rather than getting in an external company?

Depends what you know now, what you hope to achieve and what you are
like at maintaining PBX's.

We have 5 external lines, which is probably enough, but need to upgrade from
10 to 20 internal extensions.

What sort of lines? What sort of extensions? What features do you need
on these extensions?

By the sound of it, you need to get an external company as you seem to
be way off the mark.

And where does VoIP come into this?
--

SJW
Old June 1st 05, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Eric The Viking

Lurch - how come Neil asked 1 question and you replied to him with 6?

Old June 1st 05, 01:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
lurch

On 31 May 2005 16:13:49 -0700, "Eric The Viking"
strung together this:

Lurch - how come Neil asked 1 question and you replied to him with 6?

Obviously you have no idea what's going on here then.

You can't spec a phone system without knowing what the end user wants
out of it. Do you buy everything blind or do you just buy a generic
'thing' that is absolutely useless to you as it doesn't do what you
want it to do?

If one of my customers said to me that they want a phone system I
wouldn't just turn around and say "OK, fine. I'll order that then".
I'd find out what they wanted, then supply something that matched
their requirements. I'd spend most of my time in the small claims
court and run out of customers pretty fast if I didn't.

I assume you're only 12 and haven't learnt anything about good
business sense so I won't be too hard on you for today.
--

SJW
Old June 1st 05, 03:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Eric The Viking

Lurch wrote:
On 31 May 2005 16:13:49 -0700, "Eric The Viking"
strung together this:

Lurch - how come Neil asked 1 question and you replied to him with 6?

Obviously you have no idea what's going on here then.

It's usenet. People ask questions in hope of getting answers.
Preferably helpful ones.

You can't spec a phone system without knowing what the end user wants
out of it. Do you buy everything blind or do you just buy a generic
'thing' that is absolutely useless to you as it doesn't do what you
want it to do?

I thought the bloke stated pretty clearly what he wants out of it,
besides he wasn't asking for a spec or to buy anything - just for some
ideas of systems. I'm sure the chap is more than capable of reading up
on any bits of kit that are recommended.

If one of my customers said to me that they want a phone system I
wouldn't just turn around and say "OK, fine. I'll order that then".
I'd find out what they wanted, then supply something that matched
their requirements. I'd spend most of my time in the small claims
court and run out of customers pretty fast if I didn't.

And if your attitude towards your customers is the same as it is in
here I would imagine that you would be more concerned about the latter
rather than the former.

I assume you're only 12 and haven't learnt anything about good
business sense so I won't be too hard on you for today.

I will therefore assume that you are also 12 but you lose cos my dad's
a policeman.

"Won't be too hard on you for today" - twot.

Old June 4th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BigLarry

Take at look at www.phonepresence.co.uk , it looks like it could be for
you. Obv you would need a decent ADSL/Broadband line to support so many
users but I reckon you could use a 20:1 contention from someone like
Nildram coupled with a package from phone presence to give you more
features etc etc.

Old June 5th 05, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
lurch

On 4 Jun 2005 11:46:26 -0700, "BigLarry"
strung together this:

Take at look at www.some****eservicethattheopdoesntwant.co.uk ,
it looks like it could be for you.

Er, I'm not actually looking for a system as I have loads of them here
thanks. Even if I was, I wouldn't want some waste of space overpriced
online answering service.
--

SJW