Sipgate - first calls made!

Old June 3rd 05, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JGN

Default Sipgate - first calls made!

Hello all,

After looking at Vonage, I eventually signed up with Sipgate this week and
today, took delivery of a Grandstream BT101 to go with it. Just writing this
note now, as I am delighted with the quality of the phone and the audio as
well.

Setup is a little fiddly but no problem to anyone with a little bit of IT
savvy. However, I see non IT consumers as likely to have a bit of trouble
and their learning curve could be steep or in some cases vertical. As soon
as this side of things is sorted out, VoIP will really become truly plug and
play.

Ok - off to make some phone calls!

thank you all for your valuable input in putting this all together.

Cheers,

John

Old June 3rd 05, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"JGN" wrote in message
Hello all,

After looking at Vonage, I eventually signed up with Sipgate this week
and today, took delivery of a Grandstream BT101 to go with it. Just
writing this note now, as I am delighted with the quality of the phone
and the audio as well.

Setup is a little fiddly but no problem to anyone with a little bit of
IT savvy. However, I see non IT consumers as likely to have a bit of
trouble and their learning curve could be steep or in some cases
vertical. As soon as this side of things is sorted out, VoIP will really
become truly plug and play.

Ok - off to make some phone calls!

thank you all for your valuable input in putting this all together.

Cheers,

John

Glad you're ok. Sipgate have had more than their fair share of problems
recently but things are settling down. Main problem still to be addressed
is the voicemail switching to German randomly but it is intended to move
the UK system to a separate physical server in the near future so that
will hopefully cure it..!

Interested that you chose the Grandstream phone. Most people here would
advise the use of an ATA such as one from the Sipura range, these allow
plugging ordinary phones in, even DECT phones. I feed the lines from mine
into my PABX so they are accessible from any phone on the system.

Ivor

Old June 4th 05, 01:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 19:52:57 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Glad you're ok. Sipgate have had more than their fair share of problems
recently but things are settling down.

Till the next time Ivor ! .

Stop stirring..! Oh BTW could you put a blank line between the text you're
quoting and your reply, please..? It makes it so much easier to read ;-)

Ivor

Old June 5th 05, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Cable Guy

====Blank line

|| Ivor when I pay money for something it had better work or the shop
|| gets it back and quick Ivor if Voipofone and Just dial can provide a
|| reliable service so can Sipgate . Any service can go down
|| occasionally but when a service goes down the number of times
|| Sipgate has gone down
|| in the time I have been signed up with them this says something is
|| wrong.
|| Problem with Sipgate it is being run on a shoestring and a very short
|| one at that and until they pump a bit more money and manpower into it
|| problems will continue to occur .

I can't get Voipfone or Voipbuster to work at all. Don't think they're at
all reliable.

At least with Sipgate, intelligent replies are received when I've emailed
them about a problem.

With Voipbuster/fone the replies are incoherent & uninformative.

Old June 5th 05, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Cable Guy

wrote:
|| On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:15:41 GMT, "The Cable Guy"
|| wrote:
||| I can't get Voipfone or Voipbuster to work at all. Don't think
||| they're at all reliable.
|| Depends what you are using Softpones are no good on any service
|| Voipfone is working fine for me via a Sipura ATA and cordless phone
|| but I feel sure things are going start happening since they started
|| messing around adding un necessary items to the service .

Using Sipuras & Asterisk

||| At least with Sipgate, intelligent replies are received when I've
||| emailed them about a problem.

|| Same with Sipgate the service was fine when they where just providing
|| a basic phone service but once they started adding un necessary items
|| like the voicemail things started to go down hill if you want
|| voicemail why not stick an answering machine on your line ?.

Asterisk takes care of this for me.

||| With Voipbuster/fone the replies are incoherent & uninformative.

|| Why don't you just ring their tech support it is on their 020
|| switchboard number no need to ring 0870 and this is a BIG minus
|| regarding Sipgate there is no way you can contact direct and speak to
|| a human .

Which one's got the 020 number? Thanks for the heads up on that.