Netgear TA612V

Old June 4th 05, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Aaron J

Default Netgear TA612V

Dear All,

I just purchased a new netgear TA612v and initially I was under the
assumption it could be used with my current router Netgear DG834T. After
un-packing the router I noticed it had a port for ethernet and a port for
the internet so I assumed I could configure the both to be visable on my
internal LAN with port forwarding well after speaking to Netgear support
last night they told I had to disable NAT on my Netgear DG834T router in
order for it to work but unfortunately in this case I have port forwarding
working because I run a mail server. Any ideas out there? or should I just
return the item..

Thanks

Aaron.

p.s. please remove nospam from my email addy.

Old June 4th 05, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Aaron J wrote:
Dear All,

I just purchased a new netgear TA612v and initially I was under the
assumption it could be used with my current router Netgear DG834T.
After un-packing the router I noticed it had a port for ethernet
and a port for the internet so I assumed I could configure the both
to be visable on my internal LAN with port forwarding well after
speaking to Netgear support last night they told I had to disable
NAT on my Netgear DG834T router in order for it to work but
unfortunately in this case I have port forwarding working because I
run a mail server. Any ideas out there? or should I just return the
item..
Thanks

You can't use the TA612V behind a router without a lot of fiddling. It's
possible but difficult. It's designed to be plugged directly into an ADSL
modem.

Ivor

Old June 4th 05, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
wooosh

speaking to Netgear support last night they told I had to disable
NAT on my Netgear DG834T router in order for it to work but
unfortunately in this case I have port forwarding working because I
run a mail server. Any ideas out there? or should I just return the
item..
Thanks

You can't use the TA612V behind a router without a lot of fiddling. It's
possible but difficult. It's designed to be plugged directly into an ADSL
modem.

Ivor

Aaron,

I am having the same problem with both the 834 + 612.
I did have it going behind my 834 with NAT but it stopped the other day. I
have been trying to disable NAT on the 834 so it could send my WAN ip
address direct to the 612 and then run my internal LAN (+servers) behind it.
I'm not having luck with that idea either! Let me know if you have any
success.

Old June 4th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Aaron J

Hi,

I was thinking to try this option which is to setup the 612 with an internal
i.p. address and plug it into the 834 using the internet port on the 612
then enabling remote management then I just read a document from Vonage and
just enabling the following ports:
Some popular brand routers have firewall options built in. If your network
is connecting through a firewall, or a router with firewall capabilities, it
may interfere with the Phone Adapter's service. If you experience any
problems with your Vonage service, and are connecting through a firewall, be
sure the following ports are allowed to and from the Phone Adapter.

Phone Adapters Internet ports:
SIP ports 5060 through 5061 using UDP protocol
NTP port 123 using UDP protocol
TFTP port 69 using UDP protocol
DNS port 53 using UDP protocol
RTP ports 10,000 through 20,000 using UDP protocol
Since each firewall may be designed differently, please consult firewall
owners manual for further information

This effectively should route all voip traffic to that device. I will give a
try and then come back to you.. I wish they made this device easy as the 834
is a superb DSL Router.

Regards,

Aaron.

Old June 4th 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
wooosh

Phone Adapters Internet ports:
SIP ports 5060 through 5061 using UDP protocol
NTP port 123 using UDP protocol
TFTP port 69 using UDP protocol
DNS port 53 using UDP protocol
RTP ports 10,000 through 20,000 using UDP protocol
Since each firewall may be designed differently, please consult firewall
owners manual for further information

This effectively should route all voip traffic to that device. I will give
a try and then come back to you.. I wish they made this device easy as the
834 is a superb DSL Router.

Regards,

Aaron.

I had mine working this way but on the Sipgate service. I gave the 612 an
IP address of 192.168.0.7 on my 834 then forwarded all relevant ports to it.
It worked OK but has recently given up the ghost!

Let me know how you get on.

Paul.

Old June 4th 05, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Aaron J

Hi Paul,

Well I tried the below out to no avail. I just decided to sign up for Vonage
so it looks like there Phone Adaptor (Linksys) is compliant with internal
LANs using NAT.

Regards,

Aaron.

Old June 5th 05, 02:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Aaron J:
I just decided to sign up for Vonage so it looks like there Phone Adaptor
(Linksys) is compliant with internal LANs using NAT.

Don't buy the Linksys adapter from Vonage / Staples b'cause they are locked
to Vonage,
they are available elsewhere (can't remember where I have seen them).
Regards,
Martin

Old June 6th 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul D.Smith

If you can force the TA612v to use specific ports for both SIP (typically
5060) and RTP (varies) then you should be able to use port mapping.

However, some devices don't let you force the RTP ports in which case it
simply won't work because the TA612v will choose a random port to listen on
but nothing will come back in!

HOWEVER, if you configure it to use STUN then it "should just work" (tm) as
this is what most devices (e.g. X-Lite) do. If it doesn't support STUN,
then it's a poor device and I'd return it.

Paul DS.

Old June 6th 05, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Paul D.Smith wrote:
If you can force the TA612v to use specific ports for both SIP
(typically 5060) and RTP (varies) then you should be able to use
port mapping.

However, some devices don't let you force the RTP ports in which
case it simply won't work because the TA612v will choose a random
port to listen on but nothing will come back in!

HOWEVER, if you configure it to use STUN then it "should just work"
(tm) as this is what most devices (e.g. X-Lite) do. If it doesn't
support STUN, then it's a poor device and I'd return it.

Paul DS.

As Sipgate sell them pre-configured for the user's account, and Sipgate do
indeed use STUN then I'd hazard a guess that STUN works ;-)

I have a friend who is expecting delivery of one tomorrow, I'll find out
how he gets on..!

Ivor

Old June 6th 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
wooosh

(tm) as this is what most devices (e.g. X-Lite) do. If it doesn't
support STUN, then it's a poor device and I'd return it.

Paul DS.

As Sipgate sell them pre-configured for the user's account, and Sipgate do
indeed use STUN then I'd hazard a guess that STUN works ;-)

I have a friend who is expecting delivery of one tomorrow, I'll find out
how he gets on..!

Ivor

Well, I have just discovered a simple way for it to work behind another
router.

Open all ports to and from the TA612V's WAN IP.

I don't see a problem doing this as I do not have any other devices
connected to it and it has it's own firewall.

Since doing this it is working a treat.

Paul