Several VoIP phone

Old June 4th 05, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephane M

Default Several VoIP phone

Hello,

I am using a Grandstream Bridge Tone 101. (from Yesterday ! :-))
I still have my computer running X-ten...
I discovered that when I receive a call, ONE of them is ringing !! not
both !!?? (either the computer or the BT101

I am bit worried, because I plan to get a sencond BT101 (one would be at
the ground floor and the other one at the first floor) but I fear that just
one will be ringing !!

Is this normal ??? or is there a trick ?

Thanks for your help

Old June 4th 05, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

"Stephane M" wrote in message
Hello,

I am using a Grandstream Bridge Tone 101. (from Yesterday ! :-))
I still have my computer running X-ten...
I discovered that when I receive a call, ONE of them is ringing !! not
both !!?? (either the computer or the BT101

I am bit worried, because I plan to get a sencond BT101 (one would be at
the ground floor and the other one at the first floor) but I fear that

just
one will be ringing !!

Is this normal ??? or is there a trick ?

I'm no expert, but AFAIK its one IP phone (or softphone) per account!

Maybe that's why most users on this group use an ATA rather than an IP
phone. At least you then have the flexibility of using parallel POTS phones,
and/or a DECT system, or even a virtual exchange line on a PABX.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 4th 05, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephane M

Does it mean that I need to investigate on the use of a PBX ??
If you considere to get at least 2 VoIP phone - PBX ?

Thanks...Unfortunately, I don't know anything about PBX :-(

Thanks again

Old June 4th 05, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

Does it mean that I need to investigate on the use of a PBX ??
If you considere to get at least 2 VoIP phone - PBX ?

Thanks...Unfortunately, I don't know anything about PBX :-(

Thanks again

But you do know something about Linux
You might like to do some research on Asterisk VOIP

(You wouldn't be able to connect a VOIP phone to a 'regular' PABX)

If this seems like overkill for your needs, then maybe you have opted for
the wrong product.

With an ATA, (Analogue Telephone Adapter), you just connect one end to your
network and the other to your ordinary phone(s).

Sipura ATA's are better regarded here then Grandstream ones BTW.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 4th 05, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JGN

"Stephane M" wrote in message
Hello,

I am using a Grandstream Bridge Tone 101. (from Yesterday ! :-))
I still have my computer running X-ten...
I discovered that when I receive a call, ONE of them is ringing !! not
both !!?? (either the computer or the BT101

I am bit worried, because I plan to get a sencond BT101 (one would be at
the ground floor and the other one at the first floor) but I fear that
just
one will be ringing !!

Is this normal ??? or is there a trick ?

Thanks for your help

Logically, I see either the softphone or the handset ringing. when you arm
the softphone I inmagine it goves operating priority of the 101 or
secondary phone. The reason I feel confident is that VoIPfone are flogginf
twin packs of BT 102 for a smidge under £100, so they must work together
one would have thought.

cheers,

John

Old June 4th 05, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephane M

Well.... In which way an ATA will solve my problem ?
Because what I would like, is to have 2 or more.... Phones, using the
ADSL....and the same account
so, if I use an ATA or a VoIP phone directly, I should have the same
problem.... Shouldn't I ??
(AFAIK, an ATA is just an adapter between Digital world and a analog phone
!?!?)

I am Linux user.!! but not a Linux Geek !! :-)
So, I will have a look more deeply on www.asterisk.org .... I just have a
very quick look and.... blowdy hell !!! :-) seems to me a bit hard for me
!! :-)

Old June 4th 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Cable Guy

"JGN" wrote in message

"Stephane M" wrote in message
[...]

It depends on the service provider, does it not?

Old June 4th 05, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Stephane M" wrote in message
so, if I use an ATA or a VoIP phone directly, I should have the same
problem.... Shouldn't I ??

You need to connect all the phones to the same analogue connection on an
ATA.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old June 4th 05, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Graham wrote:
Does it mean that I need to investigate on the use of a PBX ??
If you considere to get at least 2 VoIP phone - PBX ?

Thanks...Unfortunately, I don't know anything about PBX :-(

Thanks again

But you do know something about Linux
You might like to do some research on Asterisk VOIP

(You wouldn't be able to connect a VOIP phone to a 'regular' PABX)

But you can connect the analogue outputs of a VoIP ATA to the exchange
line inputs of a normal PABX. I have 2 Sipgate lines into my system here
along with 2 POTS lines and it works fine.

If this seems like overkill for your needs, then maybe you have
opted for the wrong product.

With an ATA, (Analogue Telephone Adapter), you just connect one end
to your network and the other to your ordinary phone(s).

Sipura ATA's are better regarded here then Grandstream ones BTW.

True.

Ivor

Old June 4th 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BigLarry

I assumed that whichever phone registered first with the provider
"rung".

Depending on how much you want to spend / what your needs will be you
might want to look at www.phonepresence.co.uk which offers a virtual
PBX system. For 5 users it costs £17.00 a month and price includes
some free "voice recordings" for your departments ie "Welcome to XXXXX
press 1 for etc etc".