savings over BT using voip

Old June 5th 05, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
j*

Default savings over BT using voip

forgive me if this has been asked before

I have 2 BT residential lines, 1 line is used for business calls & has wires
only broadband & the other line is used for residential private calls. What
savings could I expect if I dropped the 2nd line in favour of voip
considering we are reasonably light users? fax to email would be quite
handy, what hardware would you recommned, I would be looking to use my dect
phone.

thanks in advance for any replies

Old June 5th 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony Hoyle

j* wrote:
forgive me if this has been asked before

I have 2 BT residential lines, 1 line is used for business calls & has wires
only broadband & the other line is used for residential private calls. What
savings could I expect if I dropped the 2nd line in favour of voip
considering we are reasonably light users? fax to email would be quite
handy, what hardware would you recommned, I would be looking to use my dect
phone.

thanks in advance for any replies

A sipura SPA3000 connected to the DSL line would do the trick.

The savings might not be that much... that SPA3000 costs a reasonable
amount and line rental isn't very high - you'd get most savings by
using call18866/call1899 from your standard BT lines to save the call
costs rather than the VOIP solution.

Of course saving the rental would build up and offset the cost of the
VOIP hardware eventually... you'd have to do the maths yourself and see
if it's worth it.

For residential use a free sipgate number is fine for a second number.
If you want better reliability you'd have to factor in the montly costs
for the VOIP provider.

What VOIP gives you is better scalability - you can have 5 different
incoming numbers if you want, or have multiple people using different
phones in the house without conflicting (or calling each other!). The
flexibility doesn't come cheap though.

Tony

Old June 6th 05, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:26:40 +0100, "j*" [email protected] wrote:

What
savings could I expect if I dropped the 2nd line in favour of voip
considering we are reasonably light users? f

the BT line rental of 10.50 per month would go, you could replace it
with BT Broadband voice for 4.99 per month and get free
evening/weekend calls and an ATA thrown in (12 month min contract). So
that would save 60/year and you have the same or lower phone call
costs. http://www.btbroadbandvoice.com

Myriad other options.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !