VoIP rate comparison

Old June 6th 05, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joel

Default VoIP rate comparison

Hi,
We have recently extended our phone rate comparison database to include
VoIP. So far we only have a small number of companies' rates: this will
grow with time.
I would be interested in comments, and in whether we are missing
people's favourite VoIP providers.
Joel
--
Joel Feinstein, Nottingham UK, http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com

Old June 6th 05, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Joel wrote:
Hi,
We have recently extended our phone rate comparison database to
include VoIP. So far we only have a small number of companies'
rates: this will grow with time.
I would be interested in comments, and in whether we are missing
people's favourite VoIP providers.
Joel

I notice that it quotes different rates (0.5p/min & 1.4p/min) for calls to
US landlines/mobiles. As there is no way of telling whether a US number is
a landline or a mobile, why the different rates..?

Ivor

Old June 6th 05, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joel

Ivor Jones wrote:
I notice that it quotes different rates (0.5p/min & 1.4p/min) for calls to
US landlines/mobiles. As there is no way of telling whether a US number is
a landline or a mobile, why the different rates..?

Ivor

On this issue I prefer to quote the rate claimed by the companies. I
agree that it makes no sense that they claim the rates are different.
Joel
--
Joel Feinstein, Nottingham UK, http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com

Old June 8th 05, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell

Joel wrote:
Hi,
We have recently extended our phone rate comparison database to include
VoIP. So far we only have a small number of companies' rates: this will
grow with time.
I would be interested in comments, and in whether we are missing
people's favourite VoIP providers.

please include us! www.gradwell.com/voip/callcosts

thanks
peter
Old June 8th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jason

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:14:45 +0100, Peter Gradwell
wrote:

Joel wrote:
We have recently extended our phone rate comparison database to include
VoIP. So far we only have a small number of companies' rates: this will
grow with time.
I would be interested in comments, and in whether we are missing
people's favourite VoIP providers.

please include us! www.gradwell.com/voip/callcosts

Oh dear! From http://www.gradwell.com/voip/

"We offer complete UK wide coverage with phone numbers in every area
code, plus 0870, 0800 and 0845, so you can have a real 01 or 02 number
[...]
London - 0207"

Are you going to offer new 0203 numbers too? ;-)

--

Cheers,

Jason.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Old June 8th 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joel

Peter wrote:
please include us! www.gradwell.com/voip/callcosts

thanks
peter

Hi Peter,
Can you send me a file with rates in tab or comma delimited format?
Currently we are basing the comparison on the most expensive rate to
the country's landlines rather than the cheapest. Perhaps in the future
we will develop, in addition, a more detailed database based on more
digits of the phone number, but for the moment we are sticking to one
VoIP rate per country/country mobile. (So far the international VoIP
rates for the companies in our database are all 24/7.)
Joel
--
Joel Feinstein, Nottingham UK, http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com

Old June 8th 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell

Oh dear! From http://www.gradwell.com/voip/

"We offer complete UK wide coverage with phone numbers in every area
code, plus 0870, 0800 and 0845, so you can have a real 01 or 02 number
[...]
London - 0207"

Are you going to offer new 0203 numbers too? ;-)

You have no idea how man people ring us up and go "can you do me 020
7..." if we don't put that. Sad, but true.

peter

Old June 8th 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Matt

Joel wrote:
We have recently extended our phone rate comparison database to include
VoIP. So far we only have a small number of companies' rates: this will
grow with time.

There are a few of these now (you list one of your competitors on your
home page) and I must admit I've had a bash at this myself (*VERY* basic
POC - http://www.voipcost.org.uk/). The idea that I was toying with was
an Asterisk AGI script can query in real-time the best provider for an
international number (hence the POC web page). Some other sites have an
application that allows 'off-line' (non-PBX) lookups but I haven't seen
one that went as far as the AGI script.

I wonder where this takes the market if you can always use the cheapest
provider then everyone will end up charging the same (and every provider
probably losing money).

Matt.
Old June 8th 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Peter Gradwell wrote:

You have no idea how man people ring us up and go "can you do me 020
7..." if we don't put that. Sad, but true.

You could at least stick a space in there so that it's 020 7... ;-)

Old June 8th 05, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joel

Matt wrote:
I wonder where this takes the market if you can always use the cheapest
provider then everyone will end up charging the same (and every provider
probably losing money).
Matt.

This hasn't happened yet for ordinary phone rates, and our comparison
pages have been around for quite a while now. Indeed the Finarea group
compete with themselves under many names, and their rates (which are
many and various) can go up or down.
For phone calls using callthrough companies it is easy to chop and
change, with no need to sign up for an account. How easy is it to chop
and change using VoIP?
Joel
--
Joel Feinstein, Nottingham UK, http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com