SIP/ATA/Adapter and Quality of Service (QoS)

Old June 7th 05, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul D.Smith

Default SIP/ATA/Adapter and Quality of Service (QoS)

Any tech-heads out there? Am I correct in assuming that the correct setup
for a VoIP/Internet ADSL system is the following?

modem --- VoIP adapter --- router

This allows the VoIP adapter to perform QoS processing and effectively limit
Internet traffic to/from the router to ensure that the quality of the VoIP
call is not affected?

Presumably the following...

modem --- router --- VoIP adapter

....can be prone to break up if people start heavy surfing and downloads
whilst you're on the phone.

And if this is the case, how come nobody sells a combined modem/VoIP/router
that works like this? The latest Netgear offering is a case in point - it
doesn't integrate will with the very popular DG384G(T) models.

Paul DS.

--
Please remove the "x-" if replying to sender.

Old June 7th 05, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
t...
Any tech-heads out there? Am I correct in assuming that the correct
setup
for a VoIP/Internet ADSL system is the following?

modem --- VoIP adapter --- router

Not necessarily, it depends on the ATA. Some are designed to plug into an
existing router (eg Sipura SPA-2000). Those that connect directly to a
modem will contain their own router so you should not plug another router
into them, or the two may conflict. You can plug a normal Ethernet switch
in though.

This allows the VoIP adapter to perform QoS processing and effectively
limit
Internet traffic to/from the router to ensure that the quality of the
VoIP
call is not affected?

Presumably the following...

modem --- router --- VoIP adapter

...can be prone to break up if people start heavy surfing and downloads
whilst you're on the phone.

Yes, this can happen, but only if you're approaching your upload/download
limits.

And if this is the case, how come nobody sells a combined
modem/VoIP/router
that works like this? The latest Netgear offering is a case in point -
it
doesn't integrate will with the very popular DG384G(T) models.

Which Netgear "offering" are you referring to..? The TA612V..?

There are devices that combine a modem, router and VoIP adaptor but
they're not common at present. Draytek do one I believe but it's not
cheap..! AVM also have one on the market in Germany but it isn't on sale
in the UK yet, although it should be within a month or so.

Ivor

Old June 7th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul D.Smith

snip

....You can plug a normal Ethernet switch in though.

Good point. Many people might be like me and have a router already though,
but not a switch.

Yes, this can happen, but only if you're approaching your upload/download
limits.

Which is the point. I have a 512kB ADSL connection. VoIP (G.711) requires
about 80kB and I believe upload speeds are only about 128kB for ADSL
connections. Plus, if the upstream allows, even a webpage download could
hit the max value resulting is break-up of the VoIP. By using QoS, the
network should adapt to restrict the non-VoIP traffic.

Which Netgear "offering" are you referring to..? The TA612V..?

Yes. Hadn't got the model number to hand.

There are devices that combine a modem, router and VoIP adaptor but
they're not common at present. Draytek do one I believe but it's not
cheap..! AVM also have one on the market in Germany but it isn't on sale
in the UK yet, although it should be within a month or so.

Look forward to seeing them.

Paul DS

Old June 7th 05, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chloe

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:38:47 +0100, Paul D.Smith
wrote:
Which is the point. I have a 512kB ADSL connection. VoIP (G.711) requires
about 80kB and I believe upload speeds are only about 128kB for ADSL
connections.

If it's a "supplied over BT" system like msot dsl, then it's upstream is
256K.

Chloe
Old June 7th 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
t...
snip

...You can plug a normal Ethernet switch in though.

Good point. Many people might be like me and have a router already
though,
but not a switch.

Linksys do 5 and 8 port switches quite cheaply, I have a couple that work
well.

Yes, this can happen, but only if you're approaching your
upload/download
limits.

Which is the point. I have a 512kB ADSL connection. VoIP (G.711)
requires
about 80kB and I believe upload speeds are only about 128kB for ADSL
connections. Plus, if the upstream allows, even a webpage download
could
hit the max value resulting is break-up of the VoIP. By using QoS, the
network should adapt to restrict the non-VoIP traffic.

Depends who your ISP is. I am on Wanadoo (Freeserve that was) and I was
initially on a 512 connection but upgraded to 1MB. The uplink has always
been 256k.

Which Netgear "offering" are you referring to..? The TA612V..?

Yes. Hadn't got the model number to hand.

A couple of friends have them and they seem to work well.

There are devices that combine a modem, router and VoIP adaptor but
they're not common at present. Draytek do one I believe but it's not
cheap..! AVM also have one on the market in Germany but it isn't on
sale
in the UK yet, although it should be within a month or so.

Look forward to seeing them.

Check the Sipgate website shop in a month or so.

Ivor

Old June 7th 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Paul D. Smith:
how come nobody sells a combined modem/VoIP/router

There are quite number available:
Draytek Vigor 2100V, 2500V, 2600V, 2600VG
Zyxel 2602HW & Zyxel 2602HWL
Zoom X5
The Vigor range is quality kit, well proven, hence not cheap.
I will be installing the brand new on the market Zyxel 2602HWL on Saturday,
on paper the best and only £159.04 from broadbandbuyer.co.uk.
I have no experience with the Zoom X5V, (but X4 was fine)..
Regards,
Martin

Old June 8th 05, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul D.Smith

"Al" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:38:47 +0100, Paul D.Smith wrote:

Good point. Many people might be like me and have a router already

though,
but not a switch.

Surely if you have a router/switch then you can effectively disable
the "router" function and use it as if it were just a switch?

True, providing I have a router that has a "uplink" switch, or
auto-switches, or have a cross-over cable from router to ATA.

Paul DS.

Old June 11th 05, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

There are devices that combine a modem, router and VoIP adaptor but
they're not common at present. Draytek do one I believe but it's not
cheap..! AVM also have one on the market in Germany but it isn't on sale
in the UK yet, although it should be within a month or so.

There are plenty for sale on e-bay
Do a search for "AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050"
For a succesful bid you must go up to 170-180?
New they cost about 249?

It is a combined DSL modem, router, wireless acces point, Voip adapter and
ISDN switchbox
(can be plugged into a analogue *or* ISDN line (not both), has 3 internal
analoge phone connections and 1 internal ISDN So)

rgds
Philippe

Old June 12th 05, 04:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Just bought and installed Zyxel 2602HWL, brand NEW on the market.
Two VoIP ports, different registrars and pass trough to POTS landline too.
QoS of course.
WIFI too.
It's £160 all in from broadbanduyer.co.uk and I recon they have made mistake
with the price,
co's it's cheaper then the HW version which hasn't got the landline
pass-through ;-)
Early days but seems fine so far.
Regards,
Martin