18866 VOIP, is it still working and how?

Old June 10th 05, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

Default 18866 VOIP, is it still working and how?

A couple of months ago, I tried 18866 VOIP, but since then I have wiped the
computer and can't remember how to connect to 18866 VOIP using my username
and password etc. I downloaded VOIPBuster software yesterday and after
asking about the settings in another newsgroup, I tried again last night to
make a call using VOIPBuster to 18866. It seems it doesn't work anymore???
Having googled, there seems to be a suggestion that 18866 are not doing VOIP
anymore?

My questions a

1. Is 18866 still offering VOIP Calls?
2. Does the lastest VOIPBuster allow calls to be made to 18866?
3.Is there a better software option than VOIPBuster for use with 18866?
4. Which details do I use to log into 18866VOIP via the computer?, do I use
my phone number as the 'Username' and my 18866 account number as the
'password' ??

Thanks very much.
Dave

Old June 10th 05, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Cable Guy

I would go to www.call18866.com and check all this out for yourself.

Old June 10th 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Fri, 10 Jun 2005, The Cable Guy writes

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

That doesn't really help.

I can still use 18866 for VoIP although they don't now advertise it on
their web-site. In stead they now link you to VoIPBuster, which is
different although part of the same group of companies.

Your questions 2 & 3 don't make sense. 18866 and VoIPBuster are VoIP
providers using different log-in details.

I can still use 18866VoIP using SIP Server: 1886601nnnnnnnnn, Password:
18866 customer number.

For VoIPBuster you need to download their software to register an
account with them. You can then use their softphone.

Others say that you can use an ATA, but I haven't been able to. Some
others have said that it is only the original beta testers that can use
a SIP ATA, and newcomers can only use the softphone for the time being.
For unlimited free calls you need to deposit €1 with them.

HTH

David
Old June 10th 05, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:46:34 +0100, "Dave"
wrote:

1. Is 18866 still offering VOIP Calls?

yes
2. Does the lastest VOIPBuster allow calls to be made to 18866?

wtf is voipbuster
3.Is there a better software option than VOIPBuster for use with 18866?

idefisk or iaxcomm
4. Which details do I use to log into 18866VOIP via the computer?, do I use
my phone number as the 'Username' and my 18866 account number as the
'password' ??

username 1886601cccnnnnnn
password account number

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 10th 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

wrote:

3.Is there a better software option than VOIPBuster for use with 18866?

idefisk or iaxcomm

Phil, I have just installed iaxcomm and was wonder what I use as 'host' when
setting up 18866 ?

Thanks
Dave

Old June 10th 05, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:16:45 +0100, "Dave"
wrote:

Phil, I have just installed iaxcomm and was wonder what I use as 'host' when
setting up 18866 ?

iax.call18866.co.uk

Phil
Old June 10th 05, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

wrote:

Phil, I have just installed iaxcomm and was wonder what I use as 'host'
when
setting up 18866 ?

iax.call18866.co.uk

Thanks for that Phil, I have it working now.... : - ) I just made a phone
call, and the person at the other end said my voice sounded like it was
being stretched out in places, is this a common thing on VOIP? He said it
wasn't as perfect as a normal phone call, but he could understand
everything..... Is there any settings worth playng with inside iaxcomm to
improve things at all ? Thanks again Phil.

Dave

Old June 10th 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

I've used idefisk more than iaxcomm, it allows you to select codecs so
picking a better one may help. It takes up 10 kbytes/s both ways on
the better quality so make sure you aren't uploading a lot at the
time.

Options Preferences Codecs in iaxcomm does the same - select A-law as
the preferred and disable GSM. There's a load of tuning options for
speex that I don't claim to understand or use.

Phil
Old June 10th 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
news
I've used idefisk more than iaxcomm, it allows you to select codecs so
picking a better one may help. It takes up 10 kbytes/s both ways on
the better quality so make sure you aren't uploading a lot at the
time.

Options Preferences Codecs in iaxcomm does the same - select A-law as
the preferred and disable GSM. There's a load of tuning options for
speex that I don't claim to understand or use.

Phil

Thanks for that Phil... the A-Law codec gives much better performance here.
Thats great.. Looks like I've got it sorted with your help... Thanks again.
Very much appreciated indeed.. Dave

Old June 10th 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

"Dave" wrote in message

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
news
I've used idefisk more than iaxcomm,

Just as a matter of interest, where can I download idefisk?

I tried 'idefisk' in google and it returned no information : - (

Wouldn't mind giving it a go to see how it compares.

Thanks
Dave