Getting a USA phone number

Old June 12th 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony Kay

Default Getting a USA phone number

I noticed in passing a while back in one of the topics a reference to
getting sip numbers in the USA, but have entirely forgotten which
topic it was in.

I have had a look at some of the VOIP service providers in the UK, but
they seem to offer only UK-based numbers. Do you have to subscribe to
a US-based provider to get a US number?

I'd be very grateful for any help with getting a low-cost or free US
number so people ringing me from the US from non-VOIP phones can do so
at low cost.

Thanks

Tony
Tony Kay
*** USE ONLY THE FOLLOWING FOR EMAIL ***
tkay11-at-excite.com
London UK
Old June 12th 05, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Tony Kay wrote:

I noticed in passing a while back in one of the topics a reference to
getting sip numbers in the USA, but have entirely forgotten which
topic it was in.

I have had a look at some of the VOIP service providers in the UK, but
they seem to offer only UK-based numbers. Do you have to subscribe to
a US-based provider to get a US number?

I'd be very grateful for any help with getting a low-cost or free US
number so people ringing me from the US from non-VOIP phones can do so
at low cost.

If you get a VoIP number from a UK VoIP provider who issues proper SIP
numbers, like Sipgate or Gradwell (but not JustDialVoIP or a Vonage
standard account), you can then get yourself a US (Washington State)
number from IPKall.com and forward it to your SIP address (for free).

Old June 12th 05, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Tony Kay wrote:
I noticed in passing a while back in one of the topics a reference
to getting sip numbers in the USA, but have entirely forgotten which
topic it was in.

I have had a look at some of the VOIP service providers in the UK,
but they seem to offer only UK-based numbers. Do you have to
subscribe to a US-based provider to get a US number?

I'd be very grateful for any help with getting a low-cost or free US
number so people ringing me from the US from non-VOIP phones can do
so at low cost.

You can get a free Washington State (360 area code) number from
www.ipkall.com and forward this to your UK account. I have one on my
Sipgate number and it works fine. My friends there have a plan on their
landline with inclusive calls to any US number included so they can call
me for free..!

If you specifically need an area code other than 360 then you can get
these from other suppliers but they are unlikely to be free.

Ivor

Old June 12th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony Kay

"
"If you specifically need an area code other than 360 then you can get
"these from other suppliers but they are unlikely to be free.
"Ivor

In uk.telecom.voip, (Dave Gill)
wrote:
"If you get a VoIP number from a UK VoIP provider who issues proper SIP
"numbers, like Sipgate or Gradwell (but not JustDialVoIP or a Vonage
"standard account), you can then get yourself a US (Washington State)
"number from IPKall.com and forward it to your SIP address (for free).

Thanks, Dave and Ivor. That looks pretty good. I'll check it out.

Old June 12th 05, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian Auer-Hudson

Vonage can sell you a virtual number in any area code. Cost is
GBP3.00/month.

A.

Old June 12th 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Tony Kay wrote:
I'd be very grateful for any help with getting a low-cost or free US
number so people ringing me from the US from non-VOIP phones can do so
at low cost.

Thanks

Tony

I have a number via IPKall.com too, have had it routed to my sipgate
number no problem, also no problem with FWD.
Old June 13th 05, 08:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Dave Gill writes

If you get a VoIP number from a UK VoIP provider who issues proper SIP
numbers, like Sipgate or Gradwell (but not JustDialVoIP or a Vonage
standard account), you can then get yourself a US (Washington State)
number from IPKall.com and forward it to your SIP address (for free).

Why are you suggesting that an IPKall number can't be forward to a
JustDialVoIP number?

David
Old June 13th 05, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

David Floyd wrote:

Why are you suggesting that an IPKall number can't be forward to a
JustDialVoIP number?

I'm not sure the JDV username I have could be used as part of a valid
SIP address. If it can then JDV would be an option too.

Old June 13th 05, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
Tony Kay wrote:

I'd be very grateful for any help with getting a low-cost or free US
number so people ringing me from the US from non-VOIP phones can do so
at low cost.

I have a New York number provided free by stanaphone (www.stanaphone.com).

Rob
Old June 13th 05, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Rob wrote:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
Tony Kay wrote:

I'd be very grateful for any help with getting a low-cost or free
US number so people ringing me from the US from non-VOIP phones
can do so at low cost.

I have a New York number provided free by stanaphone
(www.stanaphone.com).

Does it forward to an existing SIP account such as Sipgate or do you have
to have an account with them..?

Ivor