Transferring numbers

Old June 13th 05, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JohnC

Default Transferring numbers

Probably a very basic question. We are interested in a obtaining a single
voip line to 'try the system'. But our concern is that if we wanted in the
future to move our (geographical) number to another provider (for whatever
reason) how easy is that? Would there be any interruption to service? Any
likely costs?

Voip sounds to have a lot of potential but clearly we do not want to hand
out a number to customers if that number is not stable.

We are thinking of going with the gradwell (uk) service - it looks
professional.

Many thanks

John

Old June 13th 05, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

JohnC wrote:

Probably a very basic question. We are interested in a obtaining a single
voip line to 'try the system'. But our concern is that if we wanted in the
future to move our (geographical) number to another provider (for whatever
reason) how easy is that? Would there be any interruption to service? Any
likely costs?

Many VoIP providers are currently reselling numbers allocated to
Magrathea Telecom. If you want to transfer your number from one
Magrathea reseller to another then there shouldn't be a problem.
However there are now a handful of VoIP providers that don't use
Magrathea's number ranges, so be careful.

Voip sounds to have a lot of potential but clearly we do not want to hand
out a number to customers if that number is not stable.

We are thinking of going with the gradwell (uk) service - it looks
professional.

Gradwell are currently a bit more expensive than some of the other
providers at £4 + VAT/month for a single line with no "inclusive"
minutes (although there is a 3 month rental-free trial period), but they
are primarily aiming their service at businesses (virtual PBX etc) and
seem to have set their prices with an eye on the level of service they
want to offer.