Daft sod needs help please

Old June 15th 05, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pete

Default Daft sod needs help please

Hello peeps - I am about to set sail into the secretive world of VOIP but
know the square root of b*gger all about it. :-)

Are there any kind souls out there who would be kind enough to please point
me in the direction of anything that might work as a daft sod's guide to
VOIP?

All I have at the moment is a good knowledge of computers and a bog
standard 18866 account.

I do have one requirement lurking around in the background for after I get
things up and running and that is I would like to be able to have a call
arrive for me on a conventional landline and then be able to have the
person who answers my phone say - one moment I will put you through - and
then have that call put through to me at a different location using VOIP?
Using normal telephones, I would call this call forwarding but I have no
idea if this is feasible or even the correct terminology for VOIP????

Having written all that, you can see why I need the daft sod's guide.

Thanks in advance for any help or (polite) comments you have to offer.

Cheers

Pete
Old June 15th 05, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul D.Smith

Call forwarding is pretty powerful stuff. You may need to splice together
the PSTN (landline) and VoIP calls, possibly via your own hardware.

Let me ask you, can you do this "landline to landline" at the moment? This
requires "help" from the exchange (either BT or your own internal exchange).
If you can, then it is possible to get a "real" phone number associated with
your VoIP account in which case you just treat it like a landline and
forward in the same manner.

However, if you can't do this "landline to landline" at the moment, you need
to effectively create an exchange "in your living room". Note also, that
this forwarding _will_ tie up your landline (assuming you only have one).

Most people just use VoIP as a cheap alternative to a regular phone. For
example to get cheap calls to insert foreign country of your choice. As
other posters have indicated, in the UK we have many regular phone services
which will "sign you up" for cheap calls to said country so the savings are
minuimal, especially after you've bought the required hardware (unless
you're happy with X-Lite and the headset you probably got free with your
PC).

So bottom line, if you want call forwarding, you need to do a lot of
research and be prepared to shell out some dosh. Otherwise, have a play
with VoIP and enjoy - which seems to be what most people are doing.

Paul DS.

Old June 15th 05, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pete

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in news:42afd8a5$0$295
:

So bottom line, if you want call forwarding, you need to do a lot of
research and be prepared to shell out some dosh. Otherwise, have a play
with VoIP and enjoy - which seems to be what most people are doing.

Paul DS.

Many thanks for that Paul. Sounds like you have put me right off the idea
of VoIP. :-)))

The call-fowarding was an idea for the future and I have nothing like that
in place at the moment. With the 18866 account and their excellent pricing,
it would seem like I should stick with what I know and just continue to pay
the small amount of money that I do to 18866, unless you know of a cheaper
telco??

Thanks again Paul, if you would care to add any other thoughts, they would
be much appreciated too.

Pete
Old June 15th 05, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

Hi

www.voipinfo.org has a lot of info but maybe too technical for what you want

All I have at the moment is a good knowledge of computers and a bog
standard 18866 account.

I do have one requirement lurking around in the background for after I get
things up and running and that is I would like to be able to have a call
arrive for me on a conventional landline and then be able to have the
person who answers my phone say - one moment I will put you through - and
then have that call put through to me at a different location using VOIP?
Using normal telephones, I would call this call forwarding but I have no
idea if this is feasible or even the correct terminology for VOIP????

what you have to remember VOIP is realy just another way of delivering voice
packets. So what you can do with normal telephony you can do with voip, what
voip can give is easy mobilty and cost savings on line rentals and calls
between other voip users and in SOME cases national and overseas calls.
With the addition of and IP PBX you would be able to get the feature you
want of calls being transfered to another number, This has also been
possible with "normal" lines for a very log time. Call forwarding is the
automated forwarding of calls with no intervention and similar to call
diverting except the call is not handed off by the system.
The technolgy has nowbeen arround for a good few years now and stable, But
for business use pick your supplier with caution, some are only suitable for
residential services while others provide a robust, stable service that can
be relied upon

Ian

Old June 15th 05, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phillip H

"Pete" wrote in message
Hello peeps - I am about to set sail into the secretive world of VOIP but
know the square root of b*gger all about it. :-)

Are there any kind souls out there who would be kind enough to please
point
me in the direction of anything that might work as a daft sod's guide to
VOIP?

All I have at the moment is a good knowledge of computers and a bog
standard 18866 account.

I wouldn't bother if I was you, its not worth the hassle, stick to the good
old reliable way of using the phone. I've had a phone here since 1978, and
never once had a fault, it seems in this group, everyone is suffering
problems with Voip every day of the week! Furthermore 18866
(iax.call18866.co.uk) appears to have closed down according to the latest
posts. Do you really need an headache?

Old June 15th 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Phillip H" wrote in message

"Pete" wrote in message
Hello peeps - I am about to set sail into the secretive world of VOIP

but
know the square root of b*gger all about it. :-)

Are there any kind souls out there who would be kind enough to please
point
me in the direction of anything that might work as a daft sod's guide to
VOIP?

All I have at the moment is a good knowledge of computers and a bog
standard 18866 account.

I wouldn't bother if I was you, its not worth the hassle, stick to the

good
old reliable way of using the phone. I've had a phone here since 1978,

and
never once had a fault, it seems in this group, everyone is suffering
problems with Voip every day of the week!

No, I've been with my supplier for a year now, and only had one minor
problem with Cli which was solved in under an hour. And all my in and
outgoing business calls are carried by VOIP

Furthermore 18866
(iax.call18866.co.uk) appears to have closed down according to the latest
posts.

That is one among many suppliers, It just happens they are cheap and a lot
of people here are using them, same goes for sipgate. Now how many
complaints do you see of other suppliers ( That are not user error)

Ian

Old June 15th 05, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phillip H

wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:31:29 +0100, "Phillip H"
wrote:
I wouldn't bother if I was you, its not worth the hassle, stick to the
good
old reliable way of using the phone.

If you want to stay with OLD technology that's your choice it
surprises me with your attitude you even have a computer why didn't
you stay with the old reliable pencil and paper !!!!!! .

Well you obviously don't make good use of your PC, if you compare it to a
pencil and paper!

Old June 15th 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Pete wrote:

Are there any kind souls out there who would be kind enough to please point
me in the direction of anything that might work as a daft sod's guide to
VOIP?

[...]
I do have one requirement lurking around in the background for after I get
things up and running and that is I would like to be able to have a call
arrive for me on a conventional landline and then be able to have the
person who answers my phone say - one moment I will put you through - and
then have that call put through to me at a different location using VOIP?
Using normal telephones, I would call this call forwarding but I have no
idea if this is feasible or even the correct terminology for VOIP????

If you want to see what VoIP can do (mainly from a business point of
view, admittedly) have a look at Gradwell's VoIP pages:

http://www.gradwell.com/voip

Old June 17th 05, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pete

Hello it's me again - I think I may have found a solution to my situation
and would appreciate some more input please.

How about me plugging my 2 line POTS phone into an "adapter" that then
allows me to work with both the POTS and VoIP?

Anyone care to share their experiences please? Also do you have any
suggestions for such a box? I have discovered a Grandstream HandyTone 486
and 488 and don't understand the difference between the two. :-))) Is there
something better or better value for money?

My idea is to have this box so that I can use VoIP or either of my two POTS
lines through the one phone. The phone *is* a two line phone already.

Said I was a daft sod but by the end of the month I mught just manage to
upgrade to silly sod.

Thanks again for any input.

Regards

Pete.

Old June 17th 05, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Pete wrote:

How about me plugging my 2 line POTS phone into an "adapter" that then
allows me to work with both the POTS and VoIP?

Anyone care to share their experiences please? Also do you have any
suggestions for such a box? I have discovered a Grandstream HandyTone 486
and 488 and don't understand the difference between the two. :-))) Is there
something better or better value for money?

The HT-486 allows simple PSTN "pass through" ie: it allows the phone
connected to the ATA to use the PSTN line as well as the VoIP line. The
HT-488 also allows you to do that, but it's lets you do other fancy
stuff too, like route an incoming VoIP call to another number via your
PSTN line. (You don't need a 2 line phone - these ATAs have 2 incoming
ports, but only one outgoing port).

If you can afford it, go for Sipura kit rather than Grandstream. The
Sipura 3000 would do what you want, but it's the most expensive of the
model in their range. And you may need a bit of help to get the best
from it set-up wise.