VOIP calls through Mesh based Networks

Old June 15th 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Owens

Default VOIP calls through Mesh based Networks

Hi

I have set up voip phone on my router and can make calls. (Actually I have
succeeded with two phones, a grandstream and a snom).

However I can only receive inbound calls immediately after I have made an
outgoing call. The problem is reported on the control screen as 'too many
contacts' and on the snom phone it shows NR (?Not Registered ?).

Gradwell support , who have been very good, had gone therough my settings
etc. and we are reasonably sure that problem is not here. The current belief
is that the problem lies in our community mesh network. I am two mesh boxes
away from the ISP feed. Gradwell believe that there is a NAT problem , but
possibly a workaround using a mesh based proxy ?

The community network teccies have timed-out on this problem so I wonder of
anybody reading this forum has experience of using voip through Mesh.

NB
*We do not have a local voip exchange within the community network, and
using one is not a realistic likelihood in the near future. Therefore I am
approaching this in the same way that any punter would- getting an account
and connecting up.
*I am not really talking about pc-pc calls. I want to use the phone to calll
and receive from pots.

--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk

Old June 16th 05, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:54:51 +0100, "John Owens"
wrote:

so I wonder of
anybody reading this forum has experience of using voip through Mesh.

Tom Anderson at SWBB does, I used a BTBBV box on his net and he has an
asterisk server setup running but is also promoting "direct" VoIP as
you describe.

It sounds like a firewall or NAT is opening an incoming port based on
your originated call but won't do the same and hour later as there
isn't a port forwarding rule in place for the incoming call.

I don't think this is a Mesh thing specifically, its more a multipe
VoIP users behind NAT thing.

The CBN Exchange or their yahoogroup or
http://www.wireless.southwitham.net/ would be contact points

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 16th 05, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Owens

Fax +44 1509 890822
wrote:

so I wonder of
anybody reading this forum has experience of using voip through Mesh.

Tom Anderson at SWBB does, I used a BTBBV box on his net and he has an
asterisk server setup running but is also promoting "direct" VoIP as
you describe.

Thanks

I have posted in experts exchange. I didn't know that Tom was promoting
direct voip as well as via his asterix exchange.

I don't think we have multiple users yet, but who knows ?

John
--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk

Old June 16th 05, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:35:26 +0100, "John Owens"
wrote:

I have posted in experts exchange.

I wouldn't both with that its too glacial
put it in the unmoderated one (I forget what its called)

The problem with Asterisk would be the adminstrative load of being a
VoIP service provider to the end users, and there will be some users
who want to do their own thing.

Skype, MGCP and IAX work fine on their mesh the SIP stuff is I think
just being tested.

Your issue sounds like the standard NAT traversal of SIP issues.
Google for "SIP NAT traversal Mesh" and you'll have plenty to read.

http://www.locustworld.com/tracker/wiki?p=SipOverMesh specifically
addresses your situation.

Phil
Old June 17th 05, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Owens

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
Your issue sounds like the standard NAT traversal of SIP issues.
Google for "SIP NAT traversal Mesh" and you'll have plenty to read.

http://www.locustworld.com/tracker/wiki?p=SipOverMesh specifically
addresses your situation.

Phil

Many thanks

One of our teccies had sent me the same locustworld link but you forced me
to re-read it and I found a possible proxy listing, vpnhosts.

--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk