VoIP to Analogue Phonebox

Old June 15th 05, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony

Default VoIP to Analogue Phonebox

I want to use my existing panasonic cordless phone to access VOIP services.
I have been told the above type of product will allow me to that. The
question I have is with this type of product is it limited to the services
of Skype or can it be used for other VOIP service.

Additionaly can anyone recomend good places where it can be purchased

Thanks

Old June 15th 05, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Tony" wrote in message
I want to use my existing panasonic cordless phone to access VOIP

services.
I have been told the above type of product will allow me to that. The
question I have is with this type of product is it limited to the services
of Skype or can it be used for other VOIP service.

Additionaly can anyone recomend good places where it can be purchased

Thanks

Ok, So you want us to tell you whether the "thing" you have been told about
will be limited to skype or can be use with other services, But you dont
mention the make or whether the unit is stand alone or is connected to a PC.
So heres a guess at an answer If its connected to a PC it will be just a usb
adaptor and could possibly be used with other services . If its a stand
alone box and it works with skype odds on it wont be able to work with other
services, Since skype uses their own protocol and not SIP or IAX which most
other voip providers use

But without knowing what the "box" is no difinitive answer can be given.

Ian

Old June 15th 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Ian writes

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

He could be talking about an ATA or even an * box.

No point in hazarding a guess without further info.

DF
Old June 15th 05, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

AfAIK no standalone ATA works with skype and * doesnt either.

No point in hazarding a guess without further info.

This is what I was pointing out

But the guess I have made will assist him.

Ian

Old June 16th 05, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:15:15 +0100, "Tony" wrote:

I have been told the above type of product will allow me to that. The
question I have is with this type of product is it limited to the services
of Skype or can it be used for other VOIP service.

you didn't say what it is, as others have pointed out.

Skype is very specifically tied to a computer, you can get an adapter
to interface to an analogue phone
http://www.voipuser.org/review_12.html which is just a glorified USB
sound card and HID adapter.

The other Analogue Telephone Adapters are generally SIP based so will
work with any SIP based VoIP service and not with Skype,
Reviews at http://www.voipuser.org/review_index_all.html

Services use certain protocols and adapters support one or more of
these, so you need to consider the service/adapter/protocol
combination when choosing what to buy.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old July 5th 05, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Marc Popek

Default VOIP $ PSTN auto switch was VoIP to Analogue Phonebox

There is a clt pstn to voip auto switch they may work

marco
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Old July 5th 05, 12:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:27:36 GMT, "Marc Popek" wrote:

There is a clt pstn to voip auto switch they may work

that'll be the one that isn't CE marked for UK use and may or may not
work on our phone lines will it ?

you're advertising, Marc, admit it. Thought you would be drinking
Budweiser all night to celebrate getting rid of our influence, rather
than trying to sell us things we don't want and shouldn't use :-)

Phil
Old July 5th 05, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:27:36 GMT, "Marc Popek" wrote:

There is a clt pstn to voip auto switch they may work

that'll be the one that isn't CE marked for UK use and may or may not
work on our phone lines will it ?

you're advertising, Marc, admit it. Thought you would be drinking
Budweiser all night to celebrate getting rid of our influence, rather
than trying to sell us things we don't want and shouldn't use :-)

Oh he's advertising all right, you should see what he posts in
comp.dcom.voice-over-ip.

I've given up reporting him, nothing seems to happen. He's just in my
killfile now.

Ivor

Old July 5th 05, 01:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 00:04:46 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Oh he's advertising all right, you should see what he posts in
comp.dcom.voice-over-ip.

just saw that. Eek !

12.72.37.180 is on some blacklists. Killfile it is.

Phil
Old July 6th 05, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Marc Popek

On the contrary, my manufacturing partner is British and the units are quite
popular in EU and England, as well.

Sorry for the overly spamming posts

Marc

"Al" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:27:36 GMT, Marc Popek wrote:

There is a clt pstn to voip auto switch they may work

It may work in Nevada, but probably not in UK. But I'm sure as long as
it lines your pocket, it'll work for you, huh?