Recommendations for an ATA

Old June 16th 05, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

Default Recommendations for an ATA

Looking for recommendations for an ATA to install in parents'
house where I will manage it remotely. Should provide POTS
feedthrough so they continue using all their current handsets
pretty much as they do now, with BT callerid. Would also like
direct IP to IP calling.

I have been recommended the SIPRA 3000. I couldn't see any
mention of direct IP to IP calling in its spec though, and
I found a hint in a review that this might not be supported.
Looking for any confirmation or otherwise of this feature,
and also recommendations of other ATA's that fit the
requirement, or any to avoid.

Thanks
--
Andrew Gabriel
Old June 16th 05, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Cable Guy

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
Looking for recommendations for an ATA to install in parents'
house where I will manage it remotely. Should provide POTS
feedthrough so they continue using all their current handsets
pretty much as they do now, with BT callerid. Would also like
direct IP to IP calling.

I have been recommended the SIPRA 3000. I couldn't see any
mention of direct IP to IP calling in its spec though, and
I found a hint in a review that this might not be supported.
Looking for any confirmation or otherwise of this feature,
and also recommendations of other ATA's that fit the
requirement, or any to avoid.

Thanks
--
Andrew Gabriel

My SPA-3000 has a Yes/No choice to "Enable IP Dialling"

BT Caller ID works perfectly. Here, the SPA-3000 passes the ID on to my
Asterisk server & then on to my DECT phone.

I have been very impressed/pleased with my SPA-3000.

You can enable remote access & password protect it.

Old June 16th 05, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Cable Guy

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
Looking for recommendations for an ATA to install in parents'
house where I will manage it remotely. Should provide POTS
feedthrough so they continue using all their current handsets
pretty much as they do now, with BT callerid. Would also like
direct IP to IP calling.

I have been recommended the SIPRA 3000. I couldn't see any
mention of direct IP to IP calling in its spec though, and
I found a hint in a review that this might not be supported.
Looking for any confirmation or otherwise of this feature,
and also recommendations of other ATA's that fit the
requirement, or any to avoid.

Thanks
--
Andrew Gabriel

Another thought - even if IP dialling doesn't work, if both you & your
parents have a VOIP service provider (there are free ones around - I use
Sipgate.co.uk) you can dial each other's SIP number free of charge.

Old June 16th 05, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"The Cable Guy" writes:
Another thought - even if IP dialling doesn't work, if both you & your
parents have a VOIP service provider (there are free ones around - I use
Sipgate.co.uk) you can dial each other's SIP number free of charge.

Thanks for the responses. I didn't want to depend unnecessarily
on a VOIP service provider when some of the family members have
static IP addresses anyway. Seems to me to defeat part of the
object of full VoIP.

Some other family members are on skype which I believe can't work
with ATA's directly (why is that -- do skype use something proprietry?).
So I believe we would need to use a SIP VoIP service provider with the
ATA's, which had a skype peering arrangement.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old June 16th 05, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
The Cable Guy

"The Cable Guy" writes:
Another thought - even if IP dialling doesn't work, if both you & your
parents have a VOIP service provider (there are free ones around - I use
Sipgate.co.uk) you can dial each other's SIP number free of charge.

Thanks for the responses. I didn't want to depend unnecessarily
on a VOIP service provider when some of the family members have
static IP addresses anyway. Seems to me to defeat part of the
object of full VoIP.

Some other family members are on skype which I believe can't work
with ATA's directly (why is that -- do skype use something proprietry?).
So I believe we would need to use a SIP VoIP service provider with the
ATA's, which had a skype peering arrangement.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Well, the SPA-3000 has the ability to perform IP dialling.

Skype uses proprietry software. There are no hardware based solutions AFAIK,
excluding USB phones/headsets that require a PC to be turned on. There is
some development of a client for Asterisk.

There is a lot of useful information with regards to VOIP ATAs at
http://voxilla.com or VOIP in general at http://www.voip-info.org

Old June 18th 05, 03:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

If you starting from scratch it would be cheaper to get a VoIP equipped
router e.g.
Draytek Vigor 2100V(cable) or 2500V.
The 2600V has two VoIP ports but can't do pass -trough to POTS.
Zoom X5V, no POTS IIRC.
Possibly the best is the new Zyxel 2602HWL, 2 VoiP ports, different
registrars, POTS and WIFI.
BTW I reckon broadbanbuyer.co.uk has made error and are selling it cheaper
then the 2602HW !
I promptly bought one, works OK, even got Voipbuster working.
Regards,
Martin