Strange missed call on Sipgate

Old June 18th 05, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Default Strange missed call on Sipgate

Just had a missed call on Sipgate (well I was in the loo, I don't have a
phone in there, even I'm not that sad..!) from a rather strange number.

It was shown as 00668860 - anyone any ideas on where it could have
originated..? No voicemail message was left and I'm not about to try and
call it back..!

Ivor

Old June 18th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mathew Curtis

Ivor Jones wrote:
Just had a missed call on Sipgate (well I was in the loo, I don't have a
phone in there, even I'm not that sad..!) from a rather strange number.

It was shown as 00668860 - anyone any ideas on where it could have
originated..? No voicemail message was left and I'm not about to try and
call it back..!

Ivor

Hi Ivor

The number dont look complete but comes back as a Thailand freephone
number i think even if you did call it back it would not connect

Mat

Old June 18th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Mathew Curtis wrote:
Ivor Jones wrote:
Just had a missed call on Sipgate (well I was in the loo, I don't
have a phone in there, even I'm not that sad..!) from a rather
strange number.

It was shown as 00668860 - anyone any ideas on where it could have
originated..? No voicemail message was left and I'm not about to
try and call it back..!

Ivor

Hi Ivor

The number dont look complete but comes back as a Thailand freephone
number i think even if you did call it back it would not connect

Mat

Thanks, I just had another one, this time from 00669072, again it stopped
before I could answer. I do hope the junk marketers haven't found Sipgate
:-(

Ivor

Old June 18th 05, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony Hoyle

Ivor Jones wrote:

Thanks, I just had another one, this time from 00669072, again it stopped
before I could answer. I do hope the junk marketers haven't found Sipgate
:-(

I'm guessing they've found 18866/1899 and are spoofing their CLID like
crazy to annoy everyone. Not had any calls myself but my DSL was off
for a few hours this morning.

Tony

Old June 19th 05, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

I'm guessing they've found 18866/1899 and are spoofing their CLID like
crazy to annoy everyone. Not had any calls myself but my DSL was off
for a few hours this morning.

I believe you cannot spoof CLID with "crazy numbers", only UK numbers.
Philippe

Old June 19th 05, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Philippe Deleye

Ivor could it just be down to yet another litle Sipgate indecression I
wounder ))) .

Something similar over here ...
I have a sipgate.de account, using a Sipura 3000
From time to time (twice a day maximum) the phone connected to the Sipura is
ringing, but only once
Therefore allways too late to pick up the receiver (stops ringing after the
first ring)

Verry enoying
Just wondering wether this is something with the Sipura, or with Sipgate ??

Philippe, Belgium

Old June 19th 05, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mathew Curtis

Ivor Jones wrote:
Mathew Curtis wrote:
Ivor Jones wrote:
Just had a missed call on Sipgate (well I was in the loo, I don't
have a phone in there, even I'm not that sad..!) from a rather
strange number.

It was shown as 00668860 - anyone any ideas on where it could have
originated..? No voicemail message was left and I'm not about to
try and call it back..!

Ivor

Hi Ivor

The number dont look complete but comes back as a Thailand freephone
number i think even if you did call it back it would not connect

Mat

Thanks, I just had another one, this time from 00669072, again it stopped
before I could answer. I do hope the junk marketers haven't found Sipgate
:-(

Ivor

Destination: Thailand Mobile
Number: 00668860
Location: Mobile Phone

cli can be spoofed but I would have thought that if someone was going
to spoof a number they would spoof the full number may be its a sipgate
bug

Mat

Old June 25th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tony Hoyle

Philippe Deleye wrote:
I believe you cannot spoof CLID with "crazy numbers", only UK numbers.
Philippe

With the right equipment (an ISDN PRI is enough) you can spoof CLID
with anything you like. It is *not* a reliable source of information.

VOIP lowers the bar for CLID spoofing so pretty much anyone can do it,
if the provider doesn't check enough.

Tony